Finishing your story

This will be the last chapter of this text! I hope that all the tips have really helped you with your writing and remember if you want me to review/ edit any of your work, please let me know! Feel free to send me any questions as well :)

***
Finishing your story can either be very easy or very hard, there is no in between. For me, I have never had any difficulty in finishing any work as I feel that the story comes to a very natural end. Normally, if you feel as if you've left too much out of your story, it isn't finished. You as the author will know when you want to end your story, and that should have a huge influence whenever you're creating the ending.

Below is a few tips on how to create a good ending!

TIE UP ANY LOOSE ENDS
If you've read over your last few chapters and you've seen a few plot holes, fill them in within your ending. If there is a conflict you feel needs to be resolved and it hasn't been done so by the ending, I would include that in your chapter.

IF YOU'RE CONSIDERING A SEQUEL, BEGIN TO SET THIS UP IN THE LAST CHAPTER
Leave the reader on a cliffhanger, or introduce a few new characters within the last chapter. Create an event that makes the reader think of a thousand more questions that they want answered. Leave them wanting to read more of your work!

GIVE YOUR READERS SOMETHING GOOD
They have tuned in from your story from the very beginning which means they will want a satisfying ending! Make it unpredictable but fair, you want them to feel as if they should've seen it coming, because you left lots of sneaky hints!

LEAVE IT WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER
I know this may sound a bit obvious, but this whole story has been about their journey and their character arc. There may have been a lot of people they were close to, but this should be about their ending. If your main character has died, finish the book with a quote about them. Like:

"He always wanted to come here, now I guess he'll live here forever" she said, smiling through her tears and emptying the ashes

Or

"To you, ______, you saved my heart"

Something that leaves the main character in your mind will keep the reader in tune with the person they've been reading about for so long.

***
That's all from me! I hope that this book has helped you in some way, shape or form. I would've loved something like whenever I was first writing my first fan fiction. Here is my last few general tips that I've garnered up from experience.

1. Write something you love.
2. Always think about your character's emotions.
3. Create something original.
4. Don't make romance your only focus on your story.
5. Make your main character flawed.

If you have any queries, let me know and remember my email is mgipp649@gmail.com. If you want to email me a chapter of your fan fiction to pre-read before you publish, I will happily do so! Also, if you're interested in reading something of mine, Endgame is almost finished and I'm updating it regularly. Take care, and stay safe lovelies!

Melanie <3

"Stay faithful to the stories in your head" - Paula Hawkins