22

"It's late. We should go home." Shuichi said, cutting through the silence. They had been sitting quietly locked in a hug for several minutes now, and it was probably pretty late at night. Not to mention that the cold was starting to sink in as their adrenaline faded, and both of them were freezing. All the snow stuck to them had melted and left them tired, cold, and soaked.

"Make me, stupidhead." Kokichi replied, his voice muffled from Shuichi's chest.

"I don't really want to walk back either. But it's cold out here, and I don't want to get sick or anything." He didn't even know if it was possible for him to get sick, but that wasn't a chance he was willing to take, as he had been hurt before. 

"Fine. But only if you carry me." Kokichi muttered. 

He wasn't excatly opposed to the propisition, more so wondering if he would be be able to support his weight. But Kokichi was stubborn, and he knew he'd stand his ground until he caved in.

"Fair enough." Shuichi kept his grip on the boy before slowly rising to his feet, and Kokichi wrapped his legs around his waist tightly and strengthened his grip around his chest to make it more secure. He was surprisingly light, but it was still sort of difficult for Shuichi to carry him, and he silently hoped that he wouldn't drop him.

He slowly began walking balk towards the house, and after a while, a period of time in which his arms had begun to ache, he got to the front door. He awkwardly pushed the door open with his elbow, trying to keep Kokichi supported as best he could, having to hold him up with his knee.

He walked in, shutting the door behind him with his foot so that the cat wouldn't get out. He set him down on the couch gently next to a sleeping Mochi, letting go of him, much to Kokichi's disappointment.

He looked about ready to doze off, rubbing his eyes. "Wow, it feels like we were out there for a while. What time is it?" Shuichi glanced at the clock.

"Around 9:45. I need to finish up the dishes. You should get changed and then you should go to sleep." Kokichi nodded.

Shuichi walked into the dining room, picking up both of their plates and rinsing them off in the sink and sticking them into the dishwasher.

He didn't know how to process the night's events. He didn't know what to think, or what to feel, whether this was a good choice or a terribly bad one that he would regret. He was scared of hurting Kokichi, of doing something wrong that would mess everything up, of getting in the way of something more important. 

All he knew was that in that moment, after their eventful night together in the snow forgetting about all the heavy weight-of-the-world life or death bullshit they had had thrust upon their shoulders, it felt right, and he wanted more of it.

 He wandered into the next room, making sure to check on Kokichi before he went back to his own room to sleep. He found him laying back on the couch with his hands tucked behind his head, wearing his hoodie and sweatpants, glancing up at him when he came in. "Hey, Shuichi?"

"Yeah?"

"Can I sleep in your bed again tonight?" He asked. He was taken aback, but nodded nonetheless. He didn't mind the idea. Especially not after having been able to label what he felt and form a stable relationship with him. 

Still, it made him nervous. Even before all this had happened, they had slept in close proximity exactly one time and it almost gave him a heart attack, so he couldn't really hold back his anxiety, especially with how inexperienced he was in relationships.

"Y-yeah, sure. I don't mind." He responded, trying not to stammer, a futile effort.

"You don't sound so sure." He replied, raising an eyebrow. "If it bothers you, it's no big deal."