The Reaping

Prim and I walk slowly to the reaping administration gate together, to get our blood sampled as proof that we're twelve years old. They cut your finger then test your blood with a machine made in the Capitol. Then you can go to the roped off area for teens, and twelve year olds, and stand, listening to the two names that get called.

Prim and I are at the very back. The other girls block our view of the ugly Capitol woman that comes to read the names at the reaping, a scary woman who flashes everything, named Effie Trinket, which is fine by me.

"Hey," I look at Prim, who's frozen as ice, and say, "what's wrong?"
"What if Katniss gets picked?" Prim says in fear. "what if?" I have to think for a moment. Would I risk my life for a sixteen-year-old who Prim depends on, even if we would lose again? Yes, I will.

Before I can respond, Effie trills in excitement as she reads the name that destroys me. The name belongs to Prim. Primrose Everdeen. My last name. So that must mean. . .

"I volunteer!" Katniss shouts. I look at Prim, who's screaming her head off at the fact that her sister is now going. My sister. Prim is my twin.

"No! I volunteer! No take-backs!" Katniss yells out "prim" and is shocked when she sees me standing on the stage already, a twelve year old taking her place. Katniss, Gale, and Prim all press their middle three fingers to their lips, and then hold them high. That sign is old. It means that they love me. It means. . . Goodbye.

For a moment I'm going to cry until we're snapped out by Effie calling a boy's name. Peeta Mellark. Katniss grunts, and when I see the blonde boy who his mom used to whip, I know if 12 will win, the victor will be female. Me.