Day two~part two

The hovercraft comes and takes the bodies away. Twelve left to play. I'm still one of them.

It's late afternoon and I haven't seen any water yet. I have Rue's pack, and Marvel's. I have also Marvel's jacket, Rue's shoes, and Marvel's four knifes.
Time to see what I have to work with.

In my backpack, from the bloodbath, is a pack of crackers, a half-full water bottle, iodine, gloves, a hat, a sleeping bag, an empty plastic container, and three feet of rope.

In Marvel's is five more knives, a spear, four loaves of bread, two apples, three full bottles of water, ten matches, a lighter, a flashlight, and a full medical kit.

In Rue's is a slingshot, an apple, sunblock, an extra pair of socks, a knife, sunglasses, night goggles, and a 2-foot piece of metal.

I'm putting it all back when footsteps approach me. I turn around, knife in hand, ready to throw, when a little boy is standing there. It takes a bit longer to see who it is. Red curly hair, freckles, blue eyes, and pretty short, no taller than 3 inches longer than Rue. That's an inch shorter than me.

It's Michael, the boy from District four. But isn't he a Career? He wasn't with them though. . .

"Peeta told me that you wanted to be my ally. He's the boy from your district, right?" I put the knife down. "Yeah," I say. "He is."

"Good." He steps into my cave, which I block off with rocks once he's in. I turn on the flashlight, and take one look at Michael. "Who cut you?" I ask, pointing to his arm. He looks at it himself. It's a large gash, three inches deep.
"Cato," he said. "But I threw the crate at him. I think I broke his nose." We both laugh. Woo hoo. The more hurt the Careers are the better.

"Well, I can fix it, anyhow. Why don't you go to sleep, I'll take watch." Michael is too tired to disagree. I put iodine in the wound then wrap it up. I hid the cave good, anyway. I sleep myself.