Four

October 27, 2020

You were sitting at your desk at work when your phone buzzed with a text from Sarah in the girls group chat.

Wine at mine tn? I'll get pizza

Before you could respond, Charlotte had texted back that she would be there and you did the same. The day had been long and dreary, the London mist engulfing you every time you stepped outside. A night full of wine and friends was what you needed to turn it around.

You tried to ignore the texts that came barreling in for the next hour about what kind of pizza to order and what wine you should drink as you tried to brainstorm your next assignment.

You were meant to be working on a piece about the vintage clothing scene in London. It was actually supposed to be a two or three part piece, each one highlighting a different area in the city where the best vintage could be found. Later that week, you would be heading to Brick Lane to peruse the vintage market and small shops dotting the street that you were already way too familiar with in order to figure out who and what would be highlighted in the first part.

Finally, their tour rehearsals started up again and your phone stopped buzzing on the top of your desk.

***

You were meant to be at Sarah's around eight, but it was eight-fifteen and you had yet to leave your place. Your day hadn't gone well and it had put you in one of those moods where everything had to go exactly your way or else you would start crying. There was a staff meeting where all of the writers under Abby got yelled at for someone else's mistake and then your computer at work crashed in the middle of you taking notes, then you stepped in a huge puddle in your new (well, secondhand, but new to you) Burberry heels. It was just one thing after the other and you were over the entire day. At that point, you didn't even know if you still wanted to go to Sarah's.

Which was why you were standing in front of your bed, hands on your hips, staring at the large pile of hoodies covering your comforter. The only one you wanted to wear was buried under a pile of dirty laundry in your hamper so wearing it was out of the question—but the thought of wearing any of your other ones made tears swell in your eyes.

You let your head fall back and let out a long groan before stomping over to the hamper in the corner of your apartment and starting to dig through it. You pulled out your black GOLF hoodie and pulled it on, completely ignoring the dirty laundry smell. The hoodie reminded you of your brother and you needed the comfort.

Before walking into your bathroom, you slipped on your Air Force Ones and then grabbed your perfume from its shelf. You sprayed a little too much and hoped it would save you before grabbing your bag and heading off to Sarah's.

***

As you walked from the tube station to her place, you grumbled about the rain and held onto your hood to make sure it didn't fall. You didn't bother looking both ways before stepping into the street and when a car honked at you, the driver being forced to step on their breaks quickly, all you did was hold up your middle finger, not bothering to hurry your speed at all. You needed the wine. You needed it six hours ago while you were sitting at your desk, but better late than never.

You shivered as you stood on the steps of her building and held your thumb to the buzzer, refusing to release it until you heard the lock of the door click. You pushed down your hood as you walked to the elevator and tapped your foot in impatience as you rode it up to her floor.

When you reached her door, you started knocking—incessantly. Sarah opened the door with an exasperated look already on her face.

"What?" You asked as you walked past her and into her apartment.