nothing breaks like a heart (hayden)

"this world can hurt you

it cuts you deep and leaves a scar

things fall apart, but nothing breaks like a heart

and nothing breaks like a heart"

© 2021 Emma Norman. All Rights Reserved.

I had never been one for paying attention to my surroundings nor to the people in those surroundings

I had never been one for paying attention to my surroundings nor to the people in those surroundings. I especially didn't care much for the place which I called home.

It had been a long time since it felt like home, though. I don't understand why I hadn't moved out, but I suppose that it had something to do with the time it had taken me to save to afford it in the first place—it had taken a damn long time to get the place.

It was also somewhere that, despite being tainted with angst and hurt, was also somewhere that had once been filled with happiness and love.

That, and the view was fucking incredible. There weren't many places you could wake up in the morning to the sun filtering between the buildings and lighting up your bedroom; it's a hell of a way to wake up especially when you forget to close the damn blinds before passing out the night before.

Even having your heart broken by a heartless bitch isn't enough to detract from the view. You see, I have constantly tried to convince myself that I was over the ache which had been caused by a certain Miss Hobson, but I had no clue who I was trying to convince.

My head or my heart.

It had fucked me up. It took me a while to realise just how fucked up I had become, but it hit me at the point I was paying women to strip for me, and it hit even harder at the point I wasn't telling those woman that I didn't want to screw them in the private room at the back of the club. I just took what I wanted from them, not that they weren't willing participants, and I left.

But there was one thing which I could never get over. One thing which constantly niggled at the back of mind when my bitch of an ex-fiancée told me that I was no longer good enough for her. One thing which had been the source of many sleepless nights and had driven me insane since the moment the words had left her poisoned lips.

"I am sorry, Hayden. But I cannot marry you in the morning." There was not an ounce of remorse in her words and, as she checked her phone for new messages, I knew that she would rather be anywhere other than here. "I no longer love you and I have plans of my own. Plans which I can't fulfil by agreeing to marry some low stakes businessman who still believes Daddy will be proud of him."

Pftt. If she could see me now then she would be all over me. She would want to marry me and call herself my wife now that I was an established businessmen. Now that people respected me and answered to me. Now that I was the one with the power and I controlled all of the situations.