✗ 𝐀𝐑𝐂𝐀𝐃𝐄 [ 𝐥𝐬 ]

DEDICATED TO Dancer9816

✰ ∵ ∴ ∵ ∴ 🌊 ∴ ∵ ∴ ∵ ✰

               THE DOG COWERED underneath the table as Luke paced back and forth in the living room of his home, the frustration growing with every second that passed. He heard the whimpering, feeling bad that the dog felt the way it did; however, this time around he was not blaming himself. No, this time around it was her. He had never done anything but shown support of her career as a dancer; he had come to practices with her, he had been patient with her at home as she used him for support and balance, trying out new things. Hell — Luke Shaw had even found himself trying out the art of dancing for her.

Still, she chose to go out with her dance partner.

In the start, it hadn't been so bad. Hannah would still come to Luke's matches by herself, often sitting pitch–side by the players' tunnel to cheer her boyfriend on during the second half ( the half where the United–team would rally together for goals towards the Stretford End ). She would spend hours listening to him rant, and when he had broken his leg, she had never left his side, whether it was through the physical treatment, surgeries or the tiring hours of training and rehabilitation. It was incredible how good they had been, and how that part of their lives seemed like a chapter from a fairytale compared to what they were living now.

Sinking to the couch, Luke let out a heavy sigh, noticing how the couple's shared dog came crawling, tail wagging slowly as he was still confused about the situation. "Hey, Leo." Luke cooed, gently kissing the top of the dog's head. "Mama's not home yet, is she? I'm sure she'll be home soon, alright buddy?"

It was often like this; she went out with her dance partner ( she claimed it was for keeping the ' freshness ' to their friendship, something Luke had always thought sounded incredibly stupid ), while he stayed at home with Leo. In fact, it had even gotten to the point where he would bring his four–legged friend to practice with him, and depending on the temperatures, he would spend the training in the coolness of the dressing room, the shade outside the building, or pitch–side with the media team. Though he had told Hannah he brought Leo along for that on multiple occasions, he was still unsure whether or not she knew, or if she remembered.

Luke wanted to go to bed at night, thinking his girlfriend still loved him, but as time progressed, it was getting more and more difficult.

               He found himself nearly shaking as he heard Hannah's car in the driveway to their house, though he didn't know whether it was out of anger about the situation, or if it was out of fear for how it could quite possibly turn out. Leo jogged to the door, spinning in circles out of happiness as he waited for Hannah to come in. For the dog, nothing created a happier moment than when his two humans were both home, though the atmosphere was about to change.

                 The footballer found himself both upset and defensive as Hannah entered the house, crouching down to greet the dog that met her by the door. "Hi, Leo! How was your day? Have you been outside and played, or have you been sleeping all day?" She chuckled, kissing the dog's wet snout, before watching as he jogged into the living room, where Luke was. "What's wrong, Luke?"

He found himself with a flaming red face; she really had the audacity to ask what was wrong. "What's wrong? Tell me, since when does someone need four hours to watch a two hour–movie? Tell me that, and I'll tell you what's wrong." He sneered, narrowing his eyes as he looked at her.

"What do you—,"

"Save it. I want to know what this Ted–guy has, that I don't. Considering all the things we've been through together, I feel like I deserve a proper explanation. Was I never someone you imagined settling down with? Am I not good enough in bed?" Luke uttered, watching how the confused and hurt expression spread on Hannah's face. "My mum always told me thah I, quite like anyone, deserve a love where your partner always puts you first — not their dance–partner first. You know, that's what I thought we were — that's the kind of love I thought we had."

"What do you want me to say? That I am cheating on you?" Hannah scoffed, not even noticing how Leo returned to his place under the table, whimpering slightly at every movement made by his two humans. "I have never had romantic feelings for him; not that they could ever compare to my feelings for you, if they even existed."

Luke felt his blood boil as he looked at her, the muscles of his jaw on display as he clenched it. This wasn't the first time they had fought — not even the first time they had fought about the subject that was Hannah and her dance–partner, yet here Luke was, more or less ready to give up on everything he loved. She was standing no more than two feet from him, yet it felt like they had the entire world separating them.

He needed her, but it seem as if she needed him.

"Luke, I don't know what you've seen, or read, and quite frankly, I could never change that, but—," she paused, sighing heavily as she watched him turn and leave the room. "Luke, I'm not done, come back here."

                "Why?" He scowled, turning on his heels. "Look — I always believed I was unbreakable; everyone believes that at first. I never thought I would look at someone and give them my whole heart, I would never give anyone that power. Then I met you. I believed I could give you my heart, without you breaking it, but I was wrong. Now, you go off with your dance–partner and I'm sitting here with our dog and my broken heart, trying to hold on to whatever we had that's worth saving."

               Hannah's eyes were welling with tears as she looked at Luke, unable to speak ( mostly because she was not at all sure about what she should be saying to Luke in this very moment ). The footballer ran a hand through his hair, releasing a shaky breath. "Luke I—,"

               "No, Hannah." He scoffed, turning to look at her. His jaw was relaxed, and there was a different tone in his eyes; a tone of sadness had replaced the fire that was his anger. "I don't know what you are going to say, but what I know is that I'm far from sure I want to hear it. Time and time again, I've seen you leave to go spend time with him — even on my days off. When am I going to be put first? When are you going to make me and Leo your priority?"

                She lowered her head, choosing not to look at him. Instead, her eyes landed on Leo, who was still cowering under the table, his paws hiding his snout. "Luke, please — give me one chance. One chance to show you that you are the man I love, the man who will always be my number one priority."