✗ 𝐁𝐔𝐋𝐋𝐄𝐓𝐏𝐑𝐎𝐎𝐅 [ 𝐝𝐝𝐠 ]

inspiration ;  ' skuddsikker ' by trygve skaug

✰ ∵ ∴ ∵ ∴ 🌊 ∴ ∵ ∴ ∵ ✰

                HE WASN'T GOING TO LIE, David de Gea had done a lot of things he never thought he would. He had won the Premier League, he had played international matches for the Spanish national team, and most importantly — he had found the woman he wanted to grow old with. So, when she had come to him after a match, a match where the team had played magnificently, recieving rave reviews from football–critics all over the world, telling him she was pregnant, it was almost as if the world collapsed around David.

               Not in a bad way; just in a way that made him feel like the most helpless man to ever walk the surface of the Earth. After all, David de Gea was not sure whether he was ready to become a father.

Juan had laughed when he saw the panicked look on David's face, claiming the goalkeeper had nothing to worry about. Though, it had to be said — the midfielder's words of reassuring came without any sort of experience in the field; the only child he had, was the large Rhodesian Ridgeback he shared with his girlfriend ( a breed of dog David had always found it amusing that the smaller Spaniard had chosen to buy a dog about the same size as himself ).

               However, David had gritted his teeth and taken an extra lap around the training pitch one day, running through what father–hood would bring. He had never been negative towards becoming a father, quite frankly he had just been caught by surprise at the news. The Spanish goalkeeper was ready to do whatever it took to become the best father his unborn son or daughter could ever ask for.

The weeks went by quickly, and David felt lucky he was there for all the pregnancy ' milestones ' — though nothing had him as emotional as the ultrasound where he first saw the gender of his unborn child. He could not quite believe it; in fact, it took days for him to come to terms with the fact that his first born would be a little girl. His little princess.

                From that moment, there was not a single doubt in David's mind. Trying to put words to his feelings, he went out and bought a journal. The goalkeeper had it hidden underneath the mattress on his side of the bed, and chose to write in it the mornings his girlfriend left for work before he left for training. However, he struggled. It was difficult putting words to your feelings, especially like this. Juan had a post–match blog, but it could never be compared to opening about your feelings when a child was brought into the world.

                As days passed, the arrival of David's little princess got closer, the Spanish goalkeeper getting more nervous every day that passed. Regular visits to the hospital, revealed it would be a delievery with complications, and they advised the expecting couple to go for a c–section. David didn't quite understand what they were talking about; he had never been the strongest when it came to the medical terms.

               The date for the c–section was set, more or less right on the due date from what the footballer had understood, and in some way it made David feel a little more comfortable; now, he wouldn't risk having to rush home because the water broke. The whole team noticed how David seemed a lot more relaxed, something that benefited everyone. Matches went a lot smoother, and though his off–pitch focus was directed at preparing the nursery for his little daughter, he had never achieved better results with the team. Win after win, and clean–sheet after clean–sheet.