Aira - 申し出

"This is pretty bad, did you got caught up in an accident, miss?"

I didn't answer, too preoccupied with what happened to my foot. Of course, it's not as horrible as I thought, but it still somewhat unsightly. It's red and it looked like my skin was ripped off of my leg. An exaggeration, but that's what it looks like to me.

And as to how I get it.

Somehow, I found myself in Italy, and believe it or not, it's in hundreds of years in the past. There's a calendar in the examination room and when I took a glance of it, I saw the year. It was 1925.

Imagine how baffled I was, knowing that at one point I was at the year 2020 and the next thing I know, I'm in an era which I haven't even born yet.

Thus, I find myself unable to explained my bizarre situation to the man who helped me... Nicola, was it? That man was kind enough to take me to a hospital. I would have spent my day drenched in that rain, wailing about my past like an idiot had it not for him, and of course I don't know what to explained to the doctor who examined my leg and try to put some medicine on it to at least make the pain go away.

I can't tell them I come from a different era, that would make me sounds delusional and crazy. At worst, I would be sent to a mental hospital so, telling the truth is not an option. That's left... making up a story? I have no other option, really, but I don't know what story would sound believable enough and could explain my condition right now without any of them being suspicious of me.

After contemplating for a few minutes, I started to speak, choosing my words carefully,

"I... don't remember how I got here... When I woke up, I'm here."

Giving them a vague answer would be a bit risky, but it's still a thousand times better than saying I came from a completely different era. I'm in a territory I have no idea about, and I don't know anyone here... I'm in danger if I act rashly or saying something I shouldn't...

So, the only option I could think of is acting as an (partly) amnesiac girl until I can figure out what's actually happening here and why am I here.

"You don't remember? Anything at all? Of how you got here?" The man, Nicola, asked. Rather surprised by my answer.

"Umm... No..." I could say I was on a trip with a ship but that would be a bit suspicious because if there is a burned ship heading towards this small little town, surely the news will spread and they would find a shipwreck. I'm guessing things, but I'm pretty sure there's no ruckus or uproar about such accident, and if I say from few days ago, they will question how I survived such accident without foods or how did I even managed to get here without a ship.

"My, this is quite a predicament." Nicola said, looking rather troubled.

I feel kinda bad... I don't blame him if he thinks that he shouldn't have helped me. He was kind enough to take me to the hospital. He could've just left me here and go on his merry way but no. He waited for me.