Chapter Four

The kids all answered different things at the same time, gathering in the nook. I had to break up an argument or two about pillows, but eventually everyone was settled.

"Okay, is everyone ready?" I sat on my own beanbag, while Jay sat on a short bookshelf behind me. They nodded, almost in unison. I held back a laugh. "Who wants to remind me where we left off? Hmm...Julia."

----

We were now on the last few pages, my audience practically on the edge of their beanbags/pillows. Their facial reactions and attentiveness were so cute. I'd look up every couple of lines, both to see them and to make the lines animated. One of the times I looked up, I saw something weird. In the window was what looked like a big dog or something. There was no collar or owner around as far as I could see, and it was looking straight at me, barely moving. I thought that was pretty strange, but I ignored it at first, continuing the story until it was done.

Once the story finished, a lot of the kids cheered at the happy ending, but I was too occupied with the dog to pay that much attention to their excitement. We moved to the tables next, working on the fuse beads. As the kids chose the templates and colors they wanted, I looked outside again. It had disappeared. I was probably imagining things again.
I walked over to where Jay was waiting with the iron for the kids' creations when they finished with them, sitting down. I must have been making a face, because he took one look at me and asked the question that I was asking myself.

"What's the matter with you, Rabbit?" He knew I hated the nickname, but always used it when he knew something was wrong.

"Nothing." Nothing I can tell you anyway. I don't even know myself. I smiled at him. "I'm fine, why? And stop using that nickname, for the last time."

He wasn't fazed. "Uh-uh. That smile may work on Sarah and Shawn, but not on me."

"Again, why do you call my parents by their names? It's weird. Speaking of my parents, they invited you over for dinner."

"'Cause I wanna and I know they invited me, they always do. Now stop trying to change the topic."

"I- " Luckily, I was saved by Ellie. Did I mention that she's my favorite?

Ellie came over with her beads. Her template was a dog, which she had used glitter beads on and made it rainbow. While she waited for Jay to finish ironing it, she talked to me about what she'd had for dinner yesterday and how she was excited that she was starting school this September. When she got her dog back, she dragged me with her back to her table. Alright, I say drag, but it wasn't like I tried to stop her. I shrugged at Jay when he gave me a look.

"You can avoid me now all you like, but I'll get it out of you later." He promised as I walked away, before turning to Luke, who was waiting for his turn.

I had no doubt that he wouldn't go back on his threat, but I just rolled my eyes, turning back toward Ellie, who sat me down next to her. Julia and Mala sat across from us, happily showing me their work. I smiled, missing the days when my life was that simple.

----------------------------------

Word Count - 572