Chapter One

I stood in the middle of a sunny field, surrounded by a thick forest all around. I had no idea where I was, but it seemed warm and...familiar somehow. Which is strange, considering I had never been in any place like it, and probably never would. I had a fear of being in woodland places, and I lived in the city, so I wasn't worried there. It's really irrational and I don't actually know the reason behind it. I just always feel uneasy when I think about being in any forest. What made even less sense is that I actually felt at ease there in that clearing. Almost..safe.

It was a pretty field and as I admired all the colorful flowers growing wildly around, I found that I wasn't the only one enjoying it. There was laughter coming from one side, and when I looked in that direction, there were a couple of kids, maybe four and five years old. I wasn't sure but they were young. I think they were playing dress-up because they had fox ears and tails.

As I started to walk over, I realized I was wearing a white dress. It wasn't as extravagant as a wedding dress, but it was very pretty. It was knee-length and flowed out from where it hugged my torso. There was lace that covered my shoulders and the top of my chest and back, before it ran down to cover my arms and hands, looping around my middle fingers. The rest of the dress was smooth, maybe silk or something else. Normally, I would've thought that was weird, since I don't really ever wear dresses, but at this point, what was normal about any of this situation? I didn't bother questioning it anymore.

I was getting sort of close to the kids, a few feet away, and one at a time, both of them looked up. Though it was in my direction, it seemed like they were looking past me. There was a look of confusion on the little girl's face, her big eyes- one seagreen, one ice blue- questioning whatever it was that she was looking at. Her hair was straight and black, but had white streaks, while her brother (I assume), had ginger hair and freckles under his own amber eyes, dusting his cheeks.

Suddenly the wind picked up, my green-dyed brunette hair whipping around crazily, mostly hitting my face. I brushed it out, holding it back as I looked up at the darkening sky. Suddenly that safe feeling gave way to panic, but for some reason, I knew it wasn't because of the oncoming storm. But as I started to turn around, the little boy was suddenly beside me, grabbing my hand and pulling me away.

"We have to go now. Come with me, Mommy's waiting."    He said, continuing to walk away from what he had seen. His face was blank and emotionless somehow and the girl was nowhere to be seen.

I had a bad feeling that if I looked back, I wouldn't like what I saw. Despite that, eventually my curiosity got the better of me and I turned my head to look at what we were running from. And that's when I started to fall.                                        

I'm sorry.

Those were the last words I heard before everything faded to black.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, Lucy here.  Thank you for reading the first chapter of this story.  Um, this is something that really I am doing off of a whim, so I'll try to update regularly if I can.  No promises though.  The more people that like this, the more motivated I am to actually write, so if you really want more, let me know in the comments or give this votes!

Also if you want to support the story, it's also on tapas!  Here: https://tapas.io/series/Maybe2

Tapas is more likely to be updated than here since I'm on there a lot more, but they'll both be about equal.

Reminder: Please no hate.  I don't need it since I already know how bad it is.  Also the art for the cover is my own and I'd rather not read judgement about it either.