chapter 6

- i'm finally back with an update but it's been a while so i'll recap :)

————

I leant against the bathroom door in thought. I considered whether this was even the right path- I wasn't in a good state of mind. I panted heavily and sweat beaded on my forehead, I gazed around the room to make sense of my reality, I counted slowly back from 10 over and over until I caught my breath again.

I stood for a while I couldn't tell you how long it was. I stayed in a heap against the wall, my breathing still unsteady, I looked up and I heard the door in the main room unlock, then clatter open. My feet wobbled and I was startled.

'Come out now,' A voice echoed slightly.

Fuck.

——-

I ran my hands over my hair and looked at my bleary eyes and blotched face in the mirror. Shit.

I emerged from the bathroom immediately turning to face the door to shut it. I held onto the handle.

Beat.

I turned to face the voice who called me and I gulped. Captain.

His eyebrows were furrowed and his arms were crossed tightly along with his lips which were pressed tightly together. He looked me up and down and I desperately tried to hold back tears- I was in an unstable state of mind and my breathing quivered again.

'Avoiding training now, I know it doesn't appeal to you, however you won't want to miss today..?' He snarled and cocked an eyebrow, I looked to the floor and sighed, completely exhausted from just trying to keep my breathing under control, so many thoughts were clouded into my head.

My words stuttered and I mustered a single phrase,
'Sorry, sir.' I looked at my feet and bit my lip, the Captain faltered at my response,

'No snarky comeback this time? Hmm. I guess the punishment is working.' He studied my face and almost looked concerned, he began to head out of the room, I sighed and leant against the wall until he turned around and quickly drew close to me.

'You're going to be late.' The corners of his lips perked up slightly into a slight smile before it quickly faded away. He seemed to care, whether it was a lot or a little it was something. Although, he hid it well with a stern gaze.

He grabbed my wrist and electricity coursed up my arm, his gaze shifted and he lead my out the door and out into the hallway where the rest of the squad would be waiting.

We emerged through the double doors and the group congregated in a line in the courtyard, Levi let go of my wrist and placed a hand firmly on my back pushing me slightly infront of him, Eren looked at me with a confused face and before we got got close to the rest of the group Levi turned me to face him.

He quietly spoke to me and I took a sharp breath in,

'You're okay to continue?' I nodded slowly, suprised by his sudden gentleness.

I walked to join my friends and they looked shocked to see Levi so calm and peaceful for once. I smiled as I walked towards them, hoping my previously smeared face looked better now.

I took a space next to Eren his hand grazed over mine, he looked me in the eyes,

'Everything okay, Y/N? Did something happen with Levi?!' He asked worriedly,

'Everything's fine Eren.' I answered bluntly, flustered from the previous events.

'Morning, today we are going to be doing the training outside of the headquarters, Scouts.' Levi held his hands behind his back and the group stood in silence.

'Get over to that side of the courtyard space and head to the outside area, now.'

The group filed out of the courtyard chatting amongst themselves. I followed closely behind Eren and Mikasa came to my side also.

The group formed a smaller line by the tall walls of the building and listened closely to the Captain, nervously anticipating the lesson.

'So, today we are dealing with Titans. There have been one too many titan sightings around the vicinity of the Headquarters. We're heading north to eliminate the main group of the Titans.' Levi folded his arm and his eyes skated along the line of students.

Jean took a small step forward,
'Sir, with all due respect why are we the ones fighting the titans? We have limited training out in the field and I really don't think it would be-'

'Good observation however I don't frankly care if you think it's a good idea.'

Levi looked him up and down a disdainful glare painted on his face,

'Kirstein, the adults are a little busy and I've heard training is proving tedious for many of you, so we're stepping it up.' His eyes pierced through Jean and he immediately fell silent.

'Alright, no more comments I hope. You will travel in groups of 3's across the plains and eliminate anything you come across, it's my duty to keep you safe so do not stray too far from the main group and do not attempt to leave your trio.'

He nodded his head at us and I couldn't help but shiver at the thought of the large naked figures that would come running, hungry for blood.

We prepared our ODM gear and blades and got in position for attacks. We then gathered the horses from the stables to make for easy travel on the vast plains.

'Yeager, L/N... and Braun make for one group-'

'Him!? Are you fucking kidding?!' I blurted out and Levi shot me an immediate look of anger. I instantly drew back and clenched my fist.

'I see you're back to your usual jolly self.' He pouted and a bitter looked fell over his face as he continued to give everyone a team.

I stood next to Eren making sure I was not on Reiner's side. Eren seemed amused by my situation and I gave him a solid punch on his arm.

He winced and we laughed it off before hopping onto the horses and preparing for action.

-a/n
glad i could finally update :)