Weighed Down with Tears (Edited)

Just warning you guys, this might be a tearjerker of a chapter! Get your tissues ready, things will get a little bit depressing between the brothers ...

-----------------------

One thing you can't hide — is when you're crippled inside.

John Lennon

-----------------------

Ox looked down at the fallen Lou in worry. The green rabbit doll had been having a conversation with Moxy and her friends when he'd seen Lou fall and not get up. Ox had immediately rushed over to him, surprising the other dolls around Ox. 

"Are you okay?" the green bunny asked gently, looking down at Lou. Ox glanced up for a moment to send Sparky a questioning look. Sparky just whined again, folding his ears back and tail down. Ox sighed and looked down at the blonde prototype below, his face full of pity and compassion.

He could tell, from long experience, that his brother was miserable, Ox could feel it in the air around him. Lou looked pretty terrible: appearance all messy, not perfect at all, expression miserable. Ox could remember how almost a month ago, Lou would have probably thrown a fit if he was seen in this kind of condition. 

The mayor bunny knew that something was badly wrong with Lou if his brother stopped caring about his appearance. This Lou seemed to be more like a ghost than a living doll. Lou looked at Ox and his brow furrowed for a second before answering. "Do I look all right, Ox?" The prototype sarcastically spoke. Ox put his hands on his hips, looking firm. He had no time for self-pity at this time.

"No, you don't look all right at all, Lou!" the bunny said, looking Lou up and down. "Your hair's still messed up, your clothes have shrunk! ... wait a moment!" Ox paused, studying Lou's outfit. He pursed his lips disapprovingly. "Is that the suit from that day of the Gauntlet?" Lou knew what day Ox was referring to.

Lou just huffed and looked away from his brother, crossing his arms. "What's the point? I'm constantly soaked, and no one bothers me about it anyway!" Ox rolled his eyes; his brother was acting exactly like a sulky child. Maybe he was one in doll years? The green rabbit doll sighed, reaching out and gently pulling Lou to his feet.

Lou then looked at Ox with an emotionless expression. "Why are you wasting your time talking to a reject? Go and talk to your friends, they're better company than me." Ox stuck up his ears defiantly and stood his ground in front of Lou. He was going to try to help the obviously depressed doll.

"I'm not talking to a reject, I'm talking to my BROTHER. And right now, you ... my BROTHER need some help." Lou just turned his back on the bunny and walked over to his mop and bucket. Ox followed his brother, still with a determined gaze. 

"Don't try to lie to me, Lou! You let your appearance go to rack and ruin, you never smile, you never talk about the future!" Ox racked his mind to try to think of more inspiring things to say. "I thought that you were the sort of doll that never gave up ... like Moxy!"

Hidden from Ox's gaze, Lou's right eye twitched at the mention of Moxy. The bunny had made a mistake mentioning her. The prototype suddenly whirled around and scowled at Ox, making the rabbit go back a step. Sparky tensed, a slight growl leaking out of his jaws. "Moxy? Moxy has everything, doesn't she?! A child, friends, family, a caring home, and a future of being loved ..." Tears started to slip down Lou's face.

"What future is there for me, Ox ... really? After this ends? Everyone hates me. Will always hate me, no matter even if I say that I'm sorry. I'm alone. I will always be alone, no matter what." Immense feelings of guilt then welled up in Ox. Oh, Lou. Sparky whimpered at Lou's sad tone.

Ox had been so preoccupied with running Imperfection and hoping that Lou would change for the better that he didn't stop to think what would happen after Lou's punishment time ended. Actually, Lou's community service finished the day after tomorrow. Ox cursed at himself for his slow planning. Idiot, idiot! Now who looks like the inconsiderate one! 

He reached for Lou's right hand to try to comfort him. "That's not true, Lou! I ..." The blonde prototype lightly took a couple of steps forward out of Ox's reach. Lou's expression was that of resignation and acute depression. Ox's face fell, as did his hand to his side limply.

"It. Is. The world is cruel enough, without dolls' lies trying to hide its horrors. Prototypes are not meant to be happy, they're just meant to do as they're told and suffer. I will never, ever be happy, I see that now." Lou turned and started to walk away with the mop towards a spillage of paint in the distance. "Just go away, Ox. At least do that for me." 

Ox's jaw dropped as he took in Lou's words. The rabbit had been wrong. Things were worse, FAR worse than he'd thought. Ox shared a look with Sparky. They seemed to agree that maybe punishing Lou might have seemed like a good idea at the time, but now ... not quite so. The robot dog seemed to sigh before walking slowly off after Lou. Ox felt like he had to do SOMETHING now!

The bunny then had an idea and called after Lou's retreating figure. "If you want someone good and patient to talk to about any issues, Lucky Bat does therapy sessions any time?" Lou paused for a second, before resuming his walk to the spillage and doing more cleaning. 

Ox facepalmed. This was all his fault! He felt it in his stitches. He heard a slight rustle behind him, and sighed. One of the very few times that he was in no mood for this doll. He turned around. "Yes, Moxy, what is it?"

Vote and comment if you like it!