Chapter 2 Arriving in Edoras

Haraldur and Gandalf flew for several hours at top speed. To give Gandalf a thrill, Haraldur would go through the clouds and sometimes dive down a bit. He was tempted to do a few barrel rolls but that was pushing it. From the undignified whoops and hollers he heard coming from Gandalf, Haraldur assumed he enjoyed the flying.

When they finally touched down a few miles away from Edoras, Gandalf's eyes were shining when he got off the broom, “Oh, how I love flying,” He stated.

“Oh, yes, I had almost forgotten about the eagles,” Haraldur said.

“Yes, but the eagles are more careful when I ride them and do not do the maneuvers that you did.” He said with a chuckle.

Haraldur smiled at his old friend and put his broom back in his bag, then he pulled out the trunk and opened it, “You can come out now; we have landed.”

“So soon? That was a short ride,” Boromir noted.

“We can travel fairly quickly by flying, and the broom is quite fast. But as I said, it will be a while before I can use it again.” Haraldur explained as he helped the others out of the trunk.

Once they were all out, Haraldur reached into his pocket and removed the stones. He set them down and turned them back into the horses. The horses were none the worse for wear; they didn't seem to have noticed what had happened to them. Everyone mounted their horses, with Gimli riding with Boromir this time and Haraldur with Aragorn. They then set out for Edoras.

Riding across the plains of Rohan, Gandalf, Aragorn, and the others stop to look at Edoras in front of them.

“Edoras and the Golden Hall of Meduseld. There dwells Theoden, King of Rohan, whose mind is overthrown. Saruman's hold over King Theoden is now firm.” Gandalf told the others.

They continue to make their way towards the city. While this is going on, in the Throne would a young maiden named Eowyn talk to the King, “My Lord, your son is dead.”

The figure on the throne, a man old and worn, does not react.

“My Lord? Uncle? Will, you not go to him? Will you do nothing?”

Still, the king does not react to his niece.

Back outside, Edoras with Gandalf and the others, “Be careful what you say. Do not look for welcome here.” Gandalf advises them as they enter the gates of the city.

They made their way towards the Golden Hall and noticed that the people are subdued and look at them with suspicion, “You'll find more cheer in a graveyard,” Gimli remarked.

When they reached the Golden Hall, they are met by a soldier named Hama. He stepped forward to speak to Gandalf, “I cannot allow you before Theoden King so armed, Gandalf Greyhame. By order of Grima Wormtongue.”

Gandalf nodded to his companions, and they all hand over their weapons. Once Hama and his guards have taken everyone's weapons, he addressed Gandalf again, “Your staff.”

“Hmm, You would not part an old man from his walking stick?”

Hama looks worried for a moment, then turns and leads them forward.  Gandalf winks to Aragorn and follows him, holding onto Legolas' arm. Aragorn and the others follow.

A man with a sickly complexion and large blue eyes sat to the right of the king and whispered into his ear, “My lord, Gandalf the Grey is coming. He's a herald of woe.”

“The courtesy of your hall is somewhat lessened of late. Theoden King.”

As they walked forward, a menacing-looking group of soldiers followed them. Haraldur and Gimli kept a close eye on them. Haraldur flexed his fingers, preparing to fire off quick spells.

Grima continued to whisper in Theoden's ear, “He's not welcomed.”

“Why should I welcome you......Gandalf Stormcrow?” Then Theoden looked to Grima for agreement.

Grima nodded, “A just question, My Liege,” Grima stood up and walked toward Gandalf, “Late is the hour......in which this conjurer chooses to appear. Lathspell, I name him. Ill news is an ill guest.”

“Be silent. Keep your forked tongue behind your teeth. I have not passed through fire and death to bandy crooked words with a witless worm,” Gandalf told Grima, then lifted his staff.

Grima took a step back, “I told you to take the wizard's staff!”

The menacing group of soldiers moved in on Gandalf. Instantly, Haraldur raised his hand and stunned them all. They crumpled to the floor in a heap. Grima turned to run, but Gimli caught him by his cloak and forced him to the floor, “I would stay still if I were you.”

While this is going on, Gandalf continued to advance on Theoden, “Theoden, son of Thengel, too long have you sat in the Shadows. Hearken to me! I release you from the spell. ”

Theoden laughed mockingly. “You have no power here, Gandalf the Grey.”

Gandalf angered, throws off his grey cloak. Theoden is thrown back by a bright white light.

“I will draw you, Saruman, as poison is drawn from a wound,” he thrust forward his staff, which throws Theoden back in his chair.

Saruman speaking through Theoden, “If I go, Theoden dies.”

Still holding forward his staff, Gandalf continued to move closer to Theoden, “You did not kill me; you will not kill him.”

Saruman struggles but continued to speak, “Rohan is mine.”

“Begone,” Gandalf commanded.

Suddenly Theoden jumps from his throne, lunging at Gandalf.  Gandalf thrusts him back with his staff, and as he does, Saruman is seen thrown across the floor in Isengard. He pulls himself up, and his face is bleeding. Theoden slumps forward and Eowyn rushes to stop him from falling. Theoden's face slowly changes.  His hair and beard shorten, and his face becomes younger.  His eyes clear.

He looks at Eowyn quizzically, “I know your face.”

Eowyn smiled at her uncle, and Theoden smiled back, “Eowyn. Eowyn,” Theoden looked around the room, then he spotted Gandalf, “Gandalf?”

“Breathe the free air again, my friend.”

“Dark have been my dreams of late.” Theoden looked down at his hands and rubbed his fingers.

“Your fingers would remember their old strength better if they grasped your sword.”

Hama stepped forward with Theoden's sword. Theoden unsheathed his sword and looked at it in wonder as everyone looked on and smiled. Then he seems to remember something and turns his gaze to Grima, who is being held on the floor by Gimli. Grima is thrown out of the Hall and falls down the stairs.  Theoden walked falteringly down the stairs after him.

Grima began to crawl backward, “I've only......ever served you, my lord.”

“Your leechcraft would have had me crawling on all fours like a beast!”

“Send me not from your sight!”

Theoden raised his sword and is about to bring it down on Grima when Aragorn stopped him, “No, my lord! No, my lord. Let him go. Enough blood has been spilt on his account.”

Taking the opportunity, Grima flees for his life.

Suddenly, Theoden realized that his son is not with him and asked Eowyn where Theodred was. She looked at him with tears in her eyes. Theoden realized that his son was dead.