Chapter 12

We rode through all night and tomorrow. I had leaned my head against Legolas and my gaze was swirling over the bare rocks we were riding past all the time. After a while we hit the right and I looked up. Legolas looked at me backwards, probably because I looked up pretty jerky. He grinned at me and I put his tongue out of him, and he laughed. After a few minutes we came to a kind of gate made of stone that led into the mountain. Gimli jumped first from Brego and Aragorn and Legolas let themselves slide out of the saddles. I stayed on Hasufel's back and looked at the door. I looked at the gate and all of a time an ice-cold wind came towards us from there. Hasufel rose and Legolas had to let go of the reins he had held in his hand. And Brego, too, had turned around and was on and off. Since I wasn't sitting in Hasufel's saddle and just on the back I had no chance to hold on and when he turned sharp I landed on the ground. "Brego!" Aragorn shouted after the horses, but they were up and down. "Everything okay?" Legolas asked me, and Aragorn also wanted to kneel to me, but I quickly got up again. "Everything is fine," I said, smiling slightly. Of course, I was embarrassed that I couldn't keep myself on a horse and the fall didn't help me forget about that. Aragorn and Legolas looked at me again, then they dedicated themselves to the gate again. There was something in old runes about it. "The road is blocked. It was created by those who are dead. And the dead hold him. The road is blocked," Legolas read aloud, and I could have guessed that this was not going to end well. The undead had not sided with each other. They had fled and cowardly do-nots. I looked at Legolas and then to Aragorn. He looked into the cave and then said, "I'm not afraid of death." And with those words he went in. Legolas looked after him briefly and then followed him. I thought briefly. On the one hand I wanted to leave but on the other hand I had respect. After all, they were undead. But after a short hesitation, I ran after Legolas. And shortly afterwards I found Gimli by my side, who had run after me and looked around suspiciously. I started grinning and watched that I didn't lose sight of Legolas, because in this cave it was surprisingly dark and you couldn't see much. "What is? What do you see?" asked Gimli Legolas. "I see figures of men. And from horses." "Where?" "Pale banners like cloud shreds. Spears rise... like winter thrushes through a plume of fog. The dead follow us. They were called." "The dead?" said Gimli, turning in circles. His axe raised, "Called? I knew that. Well. Really good." We had already walked on and Gimli was still standing on a spot and spinning in a circle. But when he noticed that we had been walking on, he called legolas and ran as fast as he could. There was also a fog on which we seemed to be attacking. Gimli started blowing away the fog and I twisted my eyes with a laugh and pushed the fog to the side with my flat hand. Legolas and Aragorn also struggled with the fog, but surprisingly white the fog quickly dropped me, which was not the case with the others. Suddenly I heard a crack under my feet and paused. "Don't look down," Aragorn muttered softly, but I had already done so. The entire ground was strewn with skulls and green fog passed between them. Slowly we went on but at every step the skulls cracked under us and for the others it seemed quite unpleasant. I didn't think it was nice, but I was used to it, because I grew up in Mordor. We came back on solid ground, talking ground that wasn't littered with skulls and we started running. Eventually we got into a big hall. It was large and empty, only a kind of fortress or tomb had been built into the rocks. "Who dares to invade my kingdom?" said a voice, and it ran cold down my back. "One who demands your faithfulness to life," Aragorn replied resolutely. I stood next to Legolas and looked at the spirit that had appeared before us. He was wearing an old helmet and shredded clothes. It was not transparent, but it was not invisible. "The dead do not tolerate the living going here." "But you will tolerate me!" Aragorn answered again, and the Spirit began to laugh. I didn't know why, but that laughter scared me. For this laughter made the whole cave shake and behind us a city appeared. Now I knew why I was scared. We were here in their kingdom and they were dead, so they couldn't kill them, but they could kill us. And there were other spirits and hovering towards us. "The road is blocked! It was created by those who are dead. And the dead hold him!" There were more ghosts popping up right around us and I took a step back and grabbed Legolas by the arm. This was the first moment I was really scared and I didn't like the fear. "The road is blocked! Now you have to die!" Then Legolas stretched his bow and wanted to shoot the ghost, but his arrow simply shot through him and landed in the darkness. "I call on you to take your oath!" said Aragorn, who seemed to be the only one still to have real courage. "Only the King of Gondor can give me orders!" The Spirit and Aragorn drew their swords. Aragorn, however, did not pull the sword with which he had always fought before. The Sword of the Spirit and Aragorn met. "That blade was broken!" said the spirit with surprise, and Aragorn held the blade to his neck and added with a sure voice, "And it was renewed!" Aragorn struck the spirit and challenged the whole army: "Fight for us and regain your honor! What do you say?" All the spirits remained silent and turned back to Aragorn as he walked through their ranks. "What do you say?" Aragorn became increasingly desperate and impatient. "Oh you're wasting your time Aragorn! They had no honor in life and now they have none in death!" Gimli tried to reconcile him. Aragorn, however, did not want to give up so quickly. "I am Isilduran's heir, fight for me, and I will consider your oath fulfilled! What do you say?" Then the spirit started laughing loudly and the whole army was involved a lot. "You have my word! Fight and I will free you from this living death! What do you say?" Aragorn tried again. Slowly, I also wondered where Aragorn took all his hope from. The ghosts faded more and more and Gimli cried out, "Stay here your traitor!" Meanwhile, only light fog moved around our feet. The ghost army had disappeared. Suddenly it rained down on us skulls and the walls and the fortress collapsed. A swell of skulls came towards us from the walls. "Get out!" screamed Aragorn, and we all tried to get outside so as not to be spilled. "Legolas, run!" cried Aragorn, and we were able to save ourselves in the protection of a rock. Quickly we ran on and with difficulty we reached the exit. Outside we saw many ships lying on the Andin and smoke was moving into the sky. Aragorn sank to his knees. He leaned on Legolas and had tears in his eyes. I wondered what was going on in his head, but it seemed that his hope was now finally being lost. Suddenly we heard a noise behind us. I drove around and Aragorn straightened up. The leader of the Ghost Army approached Aragorn through the wall and said resolutely, "We are fighting!"

here is our 12 part. We hope you like it and enjoyed reading ^^