chapter 17 - i'm not awake

After Ember passed out, she could still hear everything around her. 

She felt herself fall, with her still in James's arms. She heard his heavy breathing, and how the tears soaked into her robes, but she didn't care. Butterflies swarmed in her stomach as she felt his skin on hers. She only wanted to tell James that she was okay, and that he didn't need to cry over her. 

She heard footsteps coming closer and internally thanked Marlene. She heard them ask James, "What are 5 things you can see?" She heard her name, and how his body tensed up at the mention of her. After telling them 4 things he could touch, 3 things he could hear, and 2 things he could hear, Lily asked him the final question. "What is one things you can taste?" She heard silence and secretly wished her body would wake up. Thankfully her body listened and she felt sparks go through her body as her limbs reawakened. 

She felt someone brush away the hair that was on her face and thanked them mentally. She heard James's heartbeat increase, and became worried that he would go into an anxiety attack. Just as she was about to open her eyes, she felt a warm breath fanning her lips, causing a chill to run down her spine. She sharply inhaled, smelling butterbeer and brrom polish. Her mind went all fuzzy, butterflies fluttered throughout her stomach, multiplying and intensifying as his breath became hotter.

Then she felt soft lips on hers, and her eyes shot open before closing quickly. She didn't knowhow to feel. She debated quietly.

come on ember, kiss the damn boy already. Surprise yourself, surprise everyone for that matter. You know you feel the same way. Remember all of the things he has done to prove to you that he has changed. He helped that little girl, he was civilized towards you, he helped you through your problems multiple times this year. He has done everything you wanted to and yet you still can't admit to yourself that you have feelings for him. Ember the ball is in your court.

Her thoughts proceeded on for another minute before deciding to do what she thought was right. She kissed him back. She kissed him softly, grabbing his face gently.

She felt him tense up from underneath her, and she heard her friends gasp at her waking up. She heard them gasp once more as they realized that she was kissing James Potter. A guy she had constant issues with, a guy who had been infatuated with her since he first saw her, a guy who she had despised not 3 months earlier. 

Let's go though everyone's thoughts and emotions as this was happening.

Remus Lupin smiled as large as he possibly could. The grin stetched across his face like the cheshire cat. He was so happy for Ember and James, for different reasons, but joyful nonetheless. 

Sirius Black watched in awe as he saw pure love rushing between the two. He knew they had chemistry, but this was a whole new level. The only thing he was concerned about was Ember feelings. He knew she had been questioning them the last time Remus had talked to her. And he was worried that she would end up breaking his heart if his feelings weren't reciporacated in the same way. 

Lily Evans scoffed, with a smile on her face. She knew Ember was awake, she felt it throughout her body. She knew deep down that Ember was still unsure of her feelings, but knew she would eventually figure out that she was infatuated with the Potter boy. 

Marlene McKinnon looked at her best friend with a smirk, rolling her eyes as she did so. She had told Ember this was going to happen, she always knew James held a special place in Ember's heart. But never to this extent.

Alice Fortesque she looked at the pair, nostalgia coming over her. She had actually been friends with James in her childhood, and she had sat with him at the first feast where he first saw the girl.

*flashback*

Alice and James stood next to each other, waiting for their names to be called. James new friends stood next to him, James was certain he was going to get Gryffindor, Remus thought he hold get Ravenclaw, Peter thought he wouldn't get sorted at all, and Sirius was scared he would get into Slytherin or Gryffindor.

Next to Alice stood the girls she had met on the train. Lily was still a little confused on the houses but from what she knew she would most likely get into Ravenclaw, Marlene was confident that she would get into Gryffindor, Alice was pretty sure that she would get into Hufflepuff, and Ember was unsure of the houses because she lived with a muggle mother. 

"Alice Fortesque" 

Alice squeezed herself past the students, towards the professor waiting. She sat on the stool before the hat spoke it's answer, "GRYFFINDOR"

"Ember Holland"

Ember walked up to the stool, her posture perfect, and held held high in confidence. James's jaw dropped as he watched the girl walk up. He admired her confidence, all the other girls we scared and timid while she walked up in confidence. James continued to watch the girl with wide eyes, her beauty finally hitting him. Her hair cut to her shoulder, her dark brown hair shining due to the lights. Her eyes were the most enticing, luring him in. 

He's thoughts were interrupted when the hat yelled out, "GRYFFINDOR"  She flashed a bright smile at the sound, and James stumbled back at the perfection. Sirius caught him, shaking his head at the boy. 

* * * *

Ember sat down beside her newfound friends, greeting them excitedly because they had all gotten into the same house. Alice noticed a certain Gryffindor staring at Ember. She nudged the brunette, nodding in the direction of the boy, "Hey Ember looks like you have an admirer." Ember turned in the direction of James Potter, giving him a shy smile and a small smile. Which caused him to fall over in shock. Ember and her friends stifled laughs at the boy. 

*end flashback*

Alice knew that they would get together. Their bets were all still in place but bother Alice and Peter had lost so far. Alice had clearly underestimated her friends stubbornness towards the boy. But her faith in their relationship did not waiver. Today money would be exchanged throughout the school, though neither Ember or James knew it.

a/n - sorry it took me so long to get this chapter up, i've been busy with a lot of schoolwork. Anyways THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR 5.7k READS. In case you wanted to know my updating schedule. I try to get 100 reads on the previous chapter, then upload the next chapter. Again, thank you so much for your support i truly appreciate it! till next time my loves!