prologue

Amelia Johnson was really one of a type. Her friends liked to say that about her.

While for some people she could come off as rude, her friends knew it was just how she was— honest, she always spoke her mind, always stood up for herself and her friends. Her quick wit and sarcastic personality helped whenever she got into arguments which was more often than she admitted.

She was starting her 3rd year as a Gryffindor, her talent for trouble made it easy to be friends with Harry Ron and Hermione, she loved them to death, but God they needed to catch a break. She hoped they would have a normal year.

But of course that wouldn't happen.

She clutched her phone as she waited for Hermione to answer her, there were tears running down her face, her hair was a proper mess and she was trying not to make a sound.

"Hello?" came the voice of her best friend and she sighed in relief.

"'Mione?" she choked out. "It's Amy, I need a huge favor."

"What's wrong?" said Hermione, noticing the tone in her friend's voice.

"Can I- can I stay at your house for a while?" she asked and before Hermione could even answer, she added. "I know it's a lot to ask and if I can't it's okay but I can't bear staying at my house anymore."

"I have to ask my parents, but they'll probably say yes. Just don't hang up, I'll be right back."

Staring at the wall as she waited for Hermione, a small picture frame caught her eyes, it was she, her mother and her father, looking happy as a family. More tears rolled down her face as she stared at it.

"Hey Amy?" Hermione's voice pulled her out of her thoughts.

"Yeah?"

"They said you can come, we're making dinner so if you come quick you can eat it."

She felt relief wash through her immediately and she made a mental note to buy the Grangers a big fucking gift for Christmas.

She packed her bags, got some cash and headed for Hermione's house. 

A/N: next chapter will be longer I promise