chapter two

"Okay so," said Hermione as she sat down next to Amy. They were on Hermione's bedroom, it was large. The walls were painted in a soft color of light blue, her double bed had a pastel pink duvet. As expected there was a big white shelf full of books. It was all very bright, very soft, very Hermione. "Do you want to talk about what happened?"

"Well, mum and I have been fighting," whispered Amy. "Over the silliest of things really. But today she got proper mad and we started to argue and I start to talk back and then she- she—" Amy trailed off sighing. "She said she wished it was me on that plane, instead of dad," she heard a small gasp leave Hermione's mouth.

Right before the Christmas of 1992, Amy's father, who was coming back from a business trip, died from a plane crash.

Her and her mother's life turned upside down. They'd always had a good relationship, but they became distant, cold. Amy blamed it on the grief, though she barely understood how it worked when all this mess started, hell she could barely understand it now.

She hoped she and her mother would grow out of this faze, this indifference towards each other, she counted on it.

This morning felt like a bucket of cold water had been dropped on her, waking her back to reality.

"Oh Amy I'm so sorry," said Hermione, reaching tentatively. She rested her head on her best friend's shoulder, feeling the tears she had kept inside throughout this whole day finally coming back to her. "Why were you fighting?"

"She went through my stuff," she sniffed. "Read my journals, the letter I was going to send to Ron and Harry, everything. Specially about that boy I told you about."

"Danny, right?"

"Yeah, him," she smiled sadly. "Read all about him, that was when the argument started. She read all about I was going out with him without her knowing I was, about how I was starting to like him and that maybe he liked me back, about how I was sure he liked me back because he kissed me," she hadn't told about the kiss part on her calls with Hermione, she hoped she'd tell her in person.

"When was this?" asked Hermione.

"Last week," said Amy. "I was going to tell you and the boys at the train, you know how Harry and Ron are with gossip, they pretend they don't like listening but if we don't tell them they get sad," both rolled their eyes laughing.

"Tell me the details later, yeah?"

"Of course," she sighed before continuing. "Anyways, mum said I was too young to be going around kissing and shit. Got really mad, even called the poor guy's mom to tell her 'what her son has been doing.'" She laughed bitterly. "Said his mother got mad too, probably scared him away. Then I got mad of course, if she wanted to know what I was doing she should've asked, but she wasn't listening, then we started to shout and she said... that, and here I am."

"I'm sorry, Amy," whispered Hermione. "This sucks."

"Yeah," she turned to Hermione. "Anything new about you?" she asked, wanting to move on from the topic.

Before Hermione could answer her, they heard a thud on the window.

"It's Ron's owl," said Hermione as she got up, opening the window and taking the letters. "There's one for you too."

"He said they were going to Diagon Alley in two days," said Hermione when she finished reading. "Said we can go with them if we wanted."

"What do you think?" asked Amy.

"I'll ask mum and dad."

They agreed on letting them both go as long as they didn't come back late and were careful, apparently there was this prison escapee, mass murderer Sirius Black.