Chapter eighteen - Draco's dilemma and delusions

(Author Note: At risk of a spoiler, I wish to warn my dear readers that this chapter contains a scene where Draco scratches himself rather harshly. It falls under self harm, but for Draco, it isn't really intended as self-harm. Please ask if you need more info. And comment if you liked the chapter. XD)

"Mr Potter?" Madam Pomfrey's rather unimpressed voice, startled him awake...

Awake?

Harry lifted his head, blinking as he repositioned his glasses, realising he had indeed fallen to sleep at Draco's bedside. His back ached from the position he'd been in – his head resting on the bed while still sitting in the red armchair he'd conjured.

"What time is it?" Harry mumbled, rubbing his eyes behind his glasses; he hated falling asleep in his glasses, they either ended up bent or broken, or they left marks on his face, but luckily, they seemed fine this time around.

"It's four-thirty-five in the morning Mr Potter, and YOU are NOT above the rules of visiting hours!" She reproached him in her loudest whisper, hands on her hips, and her tone harsh and cutting.

"Sorry," Harry apologised sheepishly, "I couldn't sleep."

Standing up, Harry began to make his hasty retreat – before he suffered anymore of the angry healer's wrath. It was true; he'd finally fallen asleep after tossing and turning in bed for ages – worried about a certain blond haired potions teacher, only to be woken up half an hour later by nightmares.

"That does not give you special rights to doss around in my hospital wing, well outside visiting hours I might add! I suggest warm milk and honey Mr Potter ... ... Well get out then!" She shooed him.

Harry fled the hospital wing like a scolded child caught with their parent's wand; the matron could be bloody scary sometimes.

Madam Pomfrey, on the other hand, tutted as Harry left her hospital wing, shaking her head as she turned to face her patient with a knowing smile gracing her lips.

"He cares a great deal about you, you know?" Madam Pomfrey whispered, more to herself than anything, since she knew that Draco was deep asleep and would remain so until the morning at least. Thank Merlin for sleeping draughts – it would have been impossible to keep the man in bed otherwise, and he needed the sleep.

Shaking her head as she returned to her office and private chamber, she thought back to the 1990's – the fierce rivalry between Harry and Draco was almost iconic, but now look at them ... who would have guessed it?

---OOO---

It was immensely warm, so warm that he wanted to return to his slumber – – but his left hand stung painfully, especially when he tried to move it. Biting back a groan, he blinked his eyes open only to shut them again when the light nearly blinded him. He tried again, opening his lids slowly until his eyes adjusted to the bright white light – the damn hospital wing! He defiantly groaned out loud that time.

"Good morning Mr Malfoy, I have potions here for you." Madam Pomfrey sauntered over, placing the potions down on the bedside cabinet.

With his mind still foggy, and felling rather congested with a slight headache, he suddenly felt his back being propped up against the cushions – forcing him upright.

"Take this!" Madam Pomfrey ordered, handing over a potion he didn't recognise – which was strange, he was a potions master!

"What is it?" He mumbled. Pride be damned; he wouldn't consume some unknown potion.

"The Warmendall potion. You have the Snowflu Mr Malfoy, remember?" Madam Pomfrey informed him, impatiently shoving the vial into his hand.

So, this obviously wasn't the first time Poppy had informed him of his illness, but he didn't remember that ... in fact he didn't even remember how he'd gotten to the hospital wing in the first place. Losing one's memory, was never a comforting thought, but perhaps his brain fog would abate once he'd had time to wake up properly.

Well, at least he knew what the Warmendall potion was, not that he'd had a reason to see it before – nor had he ever brewed it. He trusted Poppy however, so he did as he was instructed.