Chapter Sixteen - Christmas games

(Authors note here: I really hope all my readers are all enjoying this story so far. This chapter was both fun and hard to write. Please, please leave comments so I know what you like and what you don't XD it helps me create better stories, and it really does encourages me to post new chapters sooner.) 

---OOO---OOO---OOO---OOO---OOO---OOO---OOO---

Sitting at a one long Hogwarts table in the middle of the Great Hall, decorated spectacularly in a winter wonderland theme of silver and blue, were seven merry teachers, and twenty-seven joyful students. Everyone was tucking into their Christmas dinner and talking cheerfully between mouthfuls of turkey, stuffing, and roast potatoes, over the sounds of silverware on brilliant white plates.

Draco sat among the teachers that had stayed for the Christmas holidays, at the far end of the frosty-blue decorated table – adorned with miniature ice sculptures and floating candles burning in silver holders – and he found himself unable to stop glancing across the table at Harry as he spoke with Minerva.

"Mother did consider returning for the holidays," said Draco, answering Minerva's latest question regarding his mother's well-being, "but I assured her it wasn't necessary. She has been keeping busy with the book story... and I believe her attention has been greatly occupied with a possible male companion."

Yes, his mother had mentioned a man – many times in fact, in her correspondence to him – and if he'd read the letter correctly, then he was certain she had been alluding to a growing relationship with one Valerius Cantrelle. One didn't simply mention the same man twenty times between three letters, if one was only a regular to her shop. The fact he was so regular spoke volumes... perhaps he needed to pay his mother a visit and scoop out this Valerius!

"Really?" Minerva sounded shocked. "That must be difficult, what with her standing marriage to Lucius."

"With all due respect Minerva, I'd rather not talk about this here... but I'll say is this," Draco whispered, "Mother will be divorced before the new year." Taking a forkful of roast potato to indicate he would say more on the subject, he thought back to his Mother's letters.

It was true, Harry had come through for her – something he was eternally grateful to Harry for - and his mother was planning on sending the divorce certificate to her ex-husband as a New Year gift. Lucius had no idea that Narcissa would be a Malfoy no more, and Draco suspected that his father would not be happy. He didn't care what Lucius thought anymore, his mother deserved happiness after what that bastard put her through... what he'd put them both through. Lucius Malfoy was no longer his father, and even though he would be keeping his Malfoy name, he wanted nothing to do with the man that had sired him.

As he glanced up at Harry again, he couldn't help but blame his father for dealing the cards that had inevitably stolen his chances today, to explore and admit the feelings he was developing for one Harry Potter. In fact, and he sneered at the thought, it was his father's upbringing that had inevitable caused his rivalry with Potter in 1991; his beliefs, his holier-than-thou attitude, and his narcissistic nature ... were all thanks to his sire's misguided beliefs of what, and how, one should teach their only child.

"Then good for her!" Minerva said, stopping him from dwelling any longer on his pathetic excuse of a father.

He saw Minerva help herself to another serving of honey roasted parsnips. Draco was thankful that she'd taken the hint and didn't ask any more on the subject, he didn't want his business aired all over the school – students had a knack for overhearing things and spreading gossip.

He turned to face Harry when he heard Minerva suddenly say, "you really should eat more veg Harry." The ageing headmistress then pushed the parsnip tray towards the raven-haired man.