Renae & Marie

Renae

'What was I thinking!?' Renae thought as she practically flew down the stairs. 'I must have been going crazy to think that he would actually like me!' The young girl had just been up to see her best friend, Shale Lentworth, and had been quite an idiot as she put it. 'He basically looked at me as if I had grown a tail and bat ears! I can't believe I told him!'

Earlier that day, Renae had traveled to her muggle friend's house to spend what she knew would be the last day she would be seeing him before leaving for Hogwarts. She thought that she would reveal herself to Shale because he wouldn't be able to respond before she left for a while. When she had finally spoken those three words, he had not spoken a word and Renae took that as good a time as any to leave. Running home now, she was relieved that she wouldn't be seeing Shale.

As she slammed the door to her parents' lake house shut, her mother called her from the office.

"Darling, we should go to Diagon Alley now, you'll be leaving in 4 days, after all." said Victoire Lupin. Renae's dad was usually in charge of her, and procrastinated a lot. Renae knew that the only way she would have gotten her stuff was if her mom took her. "Come on darling, or we'll be late!" Mrs. Lupin called. As Renae ran to the room and went in Side-Along Apparation with her mother, she whispered a quick "Sorry" to Shale, and was sucked into thin air.

"1:17:39 at Diagon Alley!" Renae opened her eyes to see herself in a small lane that was directed toward the hustle and bustle of Diagon Alley. The tiny witch who had welcomed them directed them to continue down the pathway and wished them good luck with their shopping.

The noisiness and magic of the pathway made Renae's eyes go wild, zipping here and there to take a peek at every new wonder.

"Where to first, mom?" she asked with excitement bursting out of her voice. There were dozens of animals being displayed in front of a shop called "Eeylops' Owl Emporium" and there were all sorts of colorful ingredients outside of the Apothecary, but it smelled horrible.

"Well, darling, do you want to get your robes, potions ingredients, pet, cauldron, books, or wand first? I think we'll stop at your uncles' shop afterward." Victoire advised. Renae looked up at her mother with shining eyes and exclaimed:

"MY WAND!" while giggling with glee. She practically skipped to Ollivander's while following her mother.

The old building was covered in dust and the window displayed a single wand on a fraying pillow. The peeling and faded letters on the front of the store explained that it had been in business since 382 BC.

"Go ahead darling," whispered Victoire. "I'm not allowed in with you."

As Renae walked through the threshold, an older gentleman that was leaning on a crooked staff came into view. He shuffled behind the grimy desk while holding a bunch of thin, rectangular boxes.

"Come, come Miss Lupin. My old mind can still remember when your father, mother, and grandfather came to my quaint little shop looking for their own wands." Ollivander reminisced. "I was quite a lot younger though." He chuckled, deep in his thoughts and turned his gaze towards Renae. "And now I get to present you with yours. So take your pick." The old shopkeeper gestured at the similar, lengthy boxes that he had brought to the desk. Renae picked one on the top of the pile and opened it to see a beautifully carved stick styled with spirals on the hold.

"Well?" Ollivander prompted. "What are you waiting for?" Renae brought her attention back to the wand and picked it out of the box, giving it a quick wave. Almost instantly, her fingers warmed and sparks flew above her head and exploded like little fireworks.