Chapter Six.

Jamie read the book in her hands silently as Peggy rested her head against the window, sleeping while Webster and George sat in front of her and Peggy. On their train ride, Jamie and Peggy could hear many of the others talking about where they were going, the Europe or Pacific theater. The two had already guessed quietly that they were heading for Europe, Jamie knew this wasn't the same train ride to California she had taken before and Peggy had recognized this train route before when she had visited some friends in Florida and New York. However, the talk of theaters made Jamie think. It wasn't long before they went to North Carolina that the North African campaign had officially ended according to her dad and brother. She knew now that...soon her brother would find himself in the Italy campaign, so close to her yet so far. "Emma?" Webster spoke up curiously, Jamie looking up with a curious frown. "Emma by Jane Austen, you read her books?" He asked her, Jamie making an 'o' expression before nodding.

"Yeah, my mom loves her books, got me into them. I'm...uh...actually a pretty avid reader when I have the library." Jamie replied with a small smile. "I got all the reading from my mom, it's why I can read in multiple languages, basically reading books taught me them. She encouraged me to explore learning and reading." She explained to Webster who smiled at that.

"What languages?" He inquires, the man had noticed the book when he was trying to find some sleep like George and Peggy had, but he noticed Jamie, what Jamie was reading, and he had to ask before he even thought about it. There was still so much they didn't know about the two women in their company

"Uh...Spanish and Italian, french, german, and Yiddish." Jamie replied, Webster's eyebrows rose in surprise and his smile widened even more. She once mentioned her mother was such an avid learner and aiming for a higher degree despite her race, why should he be so surprised she was just as intelligent and inquisitive.

"Impressive, do you know if Peggy knows anything?" He asks.

"She said she's rubbish at german but she knows Italian, French, Russian, Turkish, and Polish." Jamie said with a small chuckle, the man chuckling as well.

"Yeah, well...then it looks like you, me, and Joe are the only ones fluent in german." Webster hummed and nodded, Jamie smiling before he exhaled. "I'm going to get some sleep, tell me how the book reading goes." He joked, Jamie grinned and nodded before Webster shifted to get comfortable and get some shut-eye, leaving Jamie in silence to continue reading.

"This...uh...train ride remind you of something?" the familiar voice of Joe asked, the woman turning and glancing over at him. The said man was to her left, across from her sitting with Malarkey, Shifty, and Skinny all three men sleeping while the man seemed to be unable to sleep as well. Jamie clicked her tongue and pursed her lips, nodding.

"Yeah, I know what you're talking about." Jamie closed her book and placed it down on her lap, face down while Joe smirked at her. She knew exactly what he was referring to. After they earned their jump wings in December of 42', they had been sent home on a ten-day furlough. Peggy's family was all in Europe so she actually went with Shifty to Virginia, she didn't have anywhere to go and didn't feel like being alone at the camp. So her dear friend and fellow sniper asked she wanted to come back with him, he had told his parents about her and his mother was more than happy to open her home to Peggy. When Peggy came back, all she could talk about was how much she loved Shifty's home and how welcoming his family had been. It was what she needed when she couldn't see her family. Jamie on the other hand decided to head back to San Francisco to see her family, her dad wasn't there but her mom and little brother Alex were. She wanted to see them and well...at the time she'd forgotten someone else lived there as well.

-8-

December 1942, on the train to San Francisco, California.

Jamie flipped through her copy of Frankenstein she bought in Georgia. Her foot-tapping slightly in impatientness, she was just admittedly nervous and ready to see her mom and brother for what she knew would probably be the last time in a while. And get away from Sobel and have some peace quiet and privacy for the first time in a while. "Well, well, well, looks like someone's nervous aren't they?" a voice grinned, Jamie pausing when she recognized it. Her eyes moved from her books to find the person standing above her was the familiar face of Joe Liebgott. The woman scowled slightly which just made Joe's grin widen even more. Sure, they were friends and got along, but Peggy had said it herself. They were both hot-headed and that meant they could clash as well, plus Joe could be an annoying pain in the ass as well. "Oh, don't make that face. I know you'd miss me if I wasn't here, Harriet." He winked at her, Jamie's face going red in slightly irritation and anger.