Chapter 32

Without warning, Abaddon lifted her finger and sent a powerful blast my way, unintimidated. I took a step forward and shouted at her, hoping to change her side one final time. Even though she wasn't my sister and had deceived us, I still knew that she could be more than she was now.

"You can change, you know, you can come with us and do the right thing. We can work together, you can have a good life with us, and you won't have to succumb to the fire anymore."

The energy disappeared from her fingertip, and she lowered her hand gradually, watching me blankly as if what I said was unheard of. Tilting her head to the side, visibly wearing the expression of a thinking person, her eyes sought an answer, and she lifted her head to look at the skies for a moment. Until, unexpectedly, she laughed and shouted back at me, "Nah. I love being bad. It's so much fun. You should try it sometime."

"No. I don't think I will," I said in a cold tone and took a step towards her. "Very well, if that is your final answer, I will have to send you back to where you came from. Are you homesick? I sure hope so."

Abaddon laughed hysterically. Her laugh was high-pitched and shrill, like nothing I had ever heard before in my life; it physically hurt my ears even from such a distance as it echoed inside the stadium. Only now did the realisation hit me; I had been sleeping alongside the enemy, and she was insane on a different level than anything I had ever encountered.

Out of her laughter, she finally spoke to us in a condescending tone, levitating even higher above our heads so she could look down to us.

"You can't send me 'home' since I don't have one. I am a fallen angel, and only those that report to the Master or above can do that. You will be the perfect sacrifice. Thegon has been waiting for you for far too long, you filthy Ouium."

Skylar took a step closer to me, standing almost shoulder to shoulder, and whispered in my ear: "you got this."

A fallen angel? What powers do they have? Have I truly got this? Or have I bitten off far more than I could chew?

"Thanks, Skylar," I whispered back to him and scanned Abaddon as she levitated before me, trying to gauge a weakness. But she was smart, the only thing she gave was cockiness, egotistical comments, and as much evil as any Hex or other dark force out there.

She was proud that she managed to get inside our camp; she thought she had won—time to change her mind and make her realise that her confidence was based on false hope.

"We all knew about you," I shouted in a condescending tone that I could tell bothered her. "You think you won? That really is something. Maybe you won a teddy bear at the fair."

"Yeah, you are dumb thinking we are that gullible, too gullible not to know you're one of the bad guys," Skylar laughed loudly, adding fuel to the fire.

"I know, right?" I responded in perfect agreement. Another spike rose in her energy.

"I'm going to enjoy killing both of you," she said, quietly enough for me to almost miss it, closing her eyes as if imagining it. "I think I'll enjoy it as much as I enjoyed killing this girl's family as she watched. I'm going to kill you just like I did all the children whose power I absorbed to get to what I am now."

A smile showed on her face, so ominous it sent chills up my spine and my knees went slightly numb, and when she opened her eyes, she looked at me the same way Dagon had. As if she was going to eat me up and enjoy every moment of it. "You know, Esa, your mother is here in Hell. Thegon has been torturing her this entire time, and he will continue... well until you go to see him of course."

All a trick to distract me. I won't fall for this.

"I know you're lying, Abaddon." My voice was calm and collected, and it seemed to irritate her even further. I saw all those tricks while I was in Hell; while it pained me back then, today it was a fuel I could use to lock this evil in its cage for eternity. Before I could continue speaking, I heard something in the background that snatched my attention away from her.