Chapter 16

Gabriella's POV
After school I walked home with Grayson & I decided to bring up the White Ball to him.
"So, I've been thinking & my parents asked me to invite you out to California."
"Ha, why?"
"Because...my dad's friend is celebrating another year of his company. And every year he has this party called the White Ball, where everyone wears white."
"Sounds interesting."
"Yeah & I kinda need a date to it." I said as I held his hand.
"Of course I'll be your date." He said with a giggle.
"Great & don't worry. My mom is getting you a suit."
"She doesn't have to, Gaby."
"No, she does. It's the least she can do after what she's done."
"Ha, well if you guys insist. Thank you. So when are we leaving?"
"This weekend. That's not a problem, right?"
"Of course not. Our parents can talk & then it will be okay."
"Alright."
I hugged him.
"So...you don't know anyone at the party? It's just business people celebrating." He asked.
I hesitated. I knew there would be people from my old school there but I just didn't want to believe it.
"I...uh...umm...no. I don't know anyone. I just go for the amazing food."
"Sounds like fun."
"It is."
I felt awful lying to Grayson about the people that are going to be there but I just don't want Grayson to get stuck in drama over there.

• White Ball Night •
We got here after a long flight & we were staying at my nana's house for the weekend.
I introduced her to Grayson & she seemed to really like him.
That night was the night of the white ball. We started getting ready.
I wore a white dress that was sorta puffy & flowy at the bottom with lace on the back. I paired it with red heels.
I loosely curled my long hair & pinned the sides. I did my usual makeup.
Grayson walked in & he looked so handsome in his white tux. I helped him put on the red bow tie.
My mom tried to make Grayson & I match.
I also helped him do his hair because he was struggling.
When we were done we took pictures & left.

We finally got to the ball & I walked in with Grayson on my arm. I can feel everyones eyes on us. No one has seen my family & I for a long time.
Everyone came up to us & hugged us & had little talks.
As we talked, I looked around & I saw Madison & her little clique in the corner.
"I'm gonna go get soda. Want some?" I asked Grayson.
"No, it's fine. Thanks, babe." He said as he kissed my cheek.
I left to get soda & tried to avoid Madison & everyone else as much as I could.

Madison's POV
I couldn't believe my eyes.
Gabriella Mirabella actually showed up to the ball. And she came not only with her twin brother Gabriel, but with another guy. I had to know who he was.
He went by the snack table & I decided to walk over.
I 'tripped' on him by accident.
"Oops, I'm sorry." I said.
"No, I'm sorry. My mistake." He said.
I looked at him. He looked familiar up close.
"I'm sorry, I didn't get your name." I said.
"Grayson." He said.
"Dolan?"
"Yeah. How did you know?"
"I watch your Vines."
"Hahaha. Wow. Thank you."
Gabriella's little friend is a Vine star. How interesting.
We kept up a conversation for a bit.
"So who did you come with?"
"My girlfriend, Gabriella."
"Girlfriend, huh?"
"Yeah."
"Hmm. Hey, what school do you go to?"
"Oh, I go to West Morris Central in New Jersey."
"Uh...is that a boarding school?"
"No...just a regular public school."
"Oh well, it was nice talking to you. Enjoy the rest of the night."
I walked over the the other girls.
"Girls, I think it's time to get revenge on Gabriella once & for all. I found out some juicy stuffy."
"Wait, why? Can't you let it go, Madison?" Alyssa said.
"No! She has to pay back hard for what she did to me & my family. She thinks she can disappear & come back like nothing. She's wrong. C'mon, girls."

Gabriella's POV
I saw Madison & her girls walk to another room.
But as I looked around, I saw that I had another thing to deal with than just Madison.
I saw Leo.
Leonardo Acosta.
He was a guy that I had history with before Grayson. But it's not what it sounds like.
Leo saw me from a far & waved.
He came towards my direction.
I quickly ran up to Grayson & hugged him.
Leo stopped, gave me a serious look & walked away.
Grayson & I talked for a bit until they played music & Grayson took me out to dance.
We had an amazing time dancing & having fun. Laughing & smiling & enjoying these moments.
When we finished all of our dancing, I headed to the bathroom.
As I walked, someone pulled me to the side.
It was Leo.
"You're back." He said.
"Yeah." I replied.
He hugged me.
"I knew you couldn't leave me."
I pulled away from the hug.
I looked at him in the face.
"Leo, I didn't come back for you!"
He looked at me seriously.
"Just please, leave me alone." I added.
"But Gabriella. You came back." He said.
"But not for you."
I went to the bathroom. I looked at myself & I knew that it was a mistake coming back here. I was in there for a few minutes
As I walked outta the bathroom, I saw Madison & all the girls waiting for me outside the bathroom. And I saw Leo talking to Grayson.

-

We all have secrets but you can only keep them hidden for so long until they catch up to you & bite you in the butt. Grab your cocktails, ladies & gentlemen. It looks like this is going to be a ball.