Remembrance

I awoke to the sun shining brightly through the open window. It smelled like summer, the flowers, the beach, the wet grass, all familiar scents to me.  I got up and walked sleepily down the hall to the kitchen. I silently ate breakfast on the back porch, like I've always done and went to go meditate. I was still at the time deeply troubled about leaving, so I wanted to get it off my mind by going to the meditation pavilion. I spent about an hour alone, trying to focus my thoughts on complete nothingness. Usually, I had no problem with this, but my situation was too painful to block out. I sat there twitching and mumbling in frustration and grief. After a while I gave up, giving into the thought of the long day ahead. 

   I talked to the kids while awaiting for Aang to wake up, so we could go to the Spirit World together to find my "way back" as we called it. As much as I hated in helping myself do the exact thing I didn't want to do, I was actually looking forward to the trip. I mean how many people get to go on a Spirit World field trip/adventure with Avatar Aang?! I mean that sounded really cool to me. The kids rambled on and on about things like school, training, friends and stuff like that. They were actually really fun to hang out with. Kya was really mature for her age, I guess she was kinda the acting oldest sibling because Bumi is...well you know what he is. But anyways, like I said continued to talk, which I was too wrapped up in my own thoughts to really quite listen to them, but one thing stuck out to me. "and then Uncle Sokka said that he will teach me another move!" Bumi finished whatever story he was telling. Sokka, another person I've never met. He died a month before I was born. I knew it was sudden and unexpected, not unlike Aang's but Gran-Gran won't really talk about it, (she won't really talk about Aang either, but on rare occasion she will) neither will anyone else. 

     I only remember Gran-Gran talk about him once. I was in the South Pole and we were watching Bumi goof off, and messing with my father. "He's just like him." Gran-Gran muttered fondly. "Like who Gran?" I asked curiously. She looked at me in subtle surprise, she must have not noticed she said that out loud.  "Oh....I was just thinking about my brother." She said quietly. "You have a brother?!" I asked in shock. At the time, I was only 7. No one at all mentioned Sokka up until that point. I had no idea who he was, let alone that Katara even had him as a brother. I mean I passed by his statue a hundred times before, but never stopped to read his inscription of who he was. I was upset that no one mentioned him to me for that long, but I soon came to realize that they were hurting deeply, I mean it was only 4 years prior to Sokka's death that it was Aang's death was well. 

     "Had, I had a brother. He died a few years ago." Katara said, looking away. I was confused on what she was talking about. "Gran-Gran, why did you not tell me of him? What was he like?" I asked sadly. Katara sighed. "Well, because it's hard, talking about people who aren't here anymore." She said emotionally. "He was just like you Uncle Bumi. A non-bender, funny, determined, smart, loving, and always knew how to cheer us up. He was my best friend, as well as your grandfather's." She explained in fond remembrance. "Really?! Did he help win the war?" I asked, obviously not knowing the whole story of the Hundred Year War. "Yes, he helped a great deal. He kept us together and planned everything. He also saved all of our lives multiple times." She said. I nodded, taking in all the information. "He sounds fun." I said happily. "He was." We continued to watch Bumi on the icy tundra. That was the only, and last time she has ever spoken of her brother to me. But I'll always remember that day. 

This was a quicker, background story, kinda sidetracking off the main story. I just wanted to put a little Sokka in this because I'm upset of how much little info we get in him in LOK, if you know what I mean......Anyways, thanks for reading!