Chapter Six: Unnecessary Questions

To Iver and Noctifer's knowledge, Darin did not sneak off that night

"At least he puts responsibility over pleasure," Noctifer muttered to Iver as they approached the wizard and his apprentice. They had already met earlier that morning to have breakfast and solidify the plans for the day, only going back to their rooms to retrieve their things. It was agreed that they would all head to the reservoir—Iver was curious to see what it looked like up close—before they split ways: Darin and Argent staying to check the barriers while Iver and Noctifer went back to the apothecary to gather medical supplies. After that, they would all meet at the market to buy the rest of the necessities.

Darin stood from his seat when the swordsmen returned, and Argent followed suit. "Ready to go?"

"Yes," Iver nodded, assuming his normal position of walking between the wizard and the warrior as they made it out onto the street. The boy walked a few feet ahead of them, looking back occasionally to confirm directions from Darin. "But are you sure they would let us in? The Alliance usually keeps their reservoirs well guarded."

"Well, I won't be able to get you close enough to walk through it," Darin said before adding with a grin, "but I can get you close enough to see it."

Iver shook his head with a smile. "Just who are you to Langerich to have such command?"

"I'm nothing much," Darin chuckled. "I just have friends in the right places. Namari's brother is the captain in charge of the reservoir, and I would help out a bit when I'm in town."

"But what makes you a worthy enough consultant," Noctifer questioned, raising an eyebrow.

"Experience." Darin turned away from the main road, going down a path that led to a gate. "It's not unusual for them to deal with unseelie attacks and barrier breaks, but as a  traveler, I deal with these sort of things much more often."

A lone guard stood by the gate as they approached, and he gave the group an odd look. He looks new, Darin thought as the young guard stopped them.

"May I help you?" he asked, glancing between the four of them.

"I'm here to check on the barrier," Darin explained with his usual pleasant smile. This only seemed to confuse the guard more.

"I'm sorry. I don't recall . . . anything about that?" The guard looked around, perhaps for a superior. "But I can confirm it with a lieutenant?"

"Ah, let him through," called another man who jogged up to them, flashing a grin at Darin. "It's good to see you again, Master Alaris. Sorry, we just received the message this morning that you were in Langerich." He nodded to the young guard who scrambled out of the way with a quick apology, now seeming to realize who was standing before him.

It struck Noctifer as odd, who narrowed his eyes slightly at the back of the wizard's head as they walked through the compound, at how everyone seemed to know the wizard is some shape or form. What exactly did he do to gain this much respect? It certainly wasn't something as small as experience or friends in high places. Iver and Noctifer shared a glance, and Iver gave a small nod to confirm he was thinking the same thing. They wouldn't get the chance to ask, however, as they soon neared the center of the reservoir.