Prologue

I pump my legs as hard as I can with the ever-growing tremors below me. 'Don't look back, don't look back, don't look back.' The last time I tried to escape I turned to peer behind me and I tripped, consequently twisting my ankle. The giant steps behind me were getting closer, I needed to hide. I scaled the first tree I saw (which wasn't too hard since I was in the forest) and pushed myself against the moist bark. The giant's steps come to a halt only a few feet from the tree in which I resided. I hear the rustling of folding fabric behind me, the ground quakes as the giant's hands and knees hit the wet grass below. My hands clamp against my mouth in an attempt to muffle my breathing. "Zylith..." I squeeze my eyes shut at the mention of my name. "Come out please~ do you have to do this every week?"

'yes,' I think.

"If you come out now you can have an extra two minutes outside after your studies." I do not answer. "Three minutes?" He tries in vain to negotiate. "Okay, your choice. When I find you, you are grounded," his stern voice comes out. I had to get out of here, I practically slide down the tree and sprint through the grass. I just needed to get down the hill to the city. "Zylith!" His voice booms behind me, but I don't stop, not even when a dark shadow falls over me. I roll out of the way before his hands can grasp me, in an attempt to get back up my feet slide from under me in the moist grass. My back hits the ground with a dull thud 'ouch.' I glare at the giant smiling face above me, but let his fingers wrap around my waist. The giant laughs, "I hope you're keep track Zylith, that's attempt number... five hundred eighty-five." I only slouch over his thick fingers as he walks back to the house. Once we're in the house he gives me a light peck on the cheek (which I wipe off harshly) and sets me by my own smaller house. "Get your stuff and meet me in the study, alright?" I remain silent. "Alright, Zylith?"

"Yes, dad." At that, he smiles and leaves the room.

My parents died many years prior and long story short I was adopted by James or 'dad.' James is... overprotective and it honestly freaks me out sometimes. The day I arrived at his house he made me learn a list of rules.

1. Keep the blinds, curtains, and doors closed and locked

2. Don't leave the house without his permission

3. No social media