Chapter Twenty

Hope and a sudden happiness flooded through me as I raced over to hug Cal, I felt as if I were back home in his arms. I breathed in the familiar scent of pine and pollen. A smile spread over my cheeks as I imagined being back home. The tall trees that framed our house. The large doorway and the parlour where you could always find my mother and father. I wanted to be back there. Back where everything seemed to be okay.

"I missed you too." He whispered and held me tighter. We stayed like this until I realized where we were.

"Cas, you have to leave. Right now" I said and started to push him towards the left of the balcony so no one could see us. The darkness enveloped us and made it hard to see Cas's face, one that I had been wanting to see for the past few weeks.

"What's the rush? I haven't seen you in two weeks." He said and took hold of my wrists so that I would stop pushing him.

"Their going to kill you. They can't know you're here." I answered, worry laced my shaking voice.

"Don't worry, I have an invite." I looked down at his attire and was surprised at how much of a gentleman he looked. Cas's black tux fit nicely on his toned body and a burgundy tie was tied handsomely around his neck. His usual messy, disorganized hair had been slicked back and... cut! For some odd reason, I liked his other look, the handsome farm boy look, not this fake, expensive one.

I saw him smile and knew I had been caught staring. Thought he only brushed a stray hair behind my ear. It was much different than Damians attempt, then it felt forced and frightening, as if he was trying to make me submit to him . Now, with Cas, a blush spread over my cheeks and I felt a fluttering in my stomach that could only be caused by his touch.

"Is my mother here?" I quickly asked, trying to hide my blushing as I looked out into the crowd of people for a face that resembled mine.

"No, the Prince knows what your mother looks like, therefore she thought it best that I come alone. Since nobody knows who I am." Cas's smile did little to ease my nervousness, but I was still thankful that he was here.

"Why did you come? It isn't safe, you could get-"

"I could get killed, I know, you said that." He interrupted. "But we had agreed that this was necessary."

"We? Who is we?" I questioned. Though I felt a bit stupid asking the question, I knew my mother must've been involve since she had recommended he come here.

"Your mother, Daphne and a few of the towns folk."

"Why?"

"Isn't it obvious." Cas paused. "We want to rescue you."

"Cas I-I don't need your help." I lied. The truth was I didn't think I deserved their help. Not after my father had been killed trying to do the same thing. I couldn't bear the thought of being responsible for another loved one's death.

"From what I saw just five minutes ago, it seems like you do. And when your mother told everyone about Jacobs death, they wanted to help you. I must say you are an extremely popular person."

"Yes, well, I might be with our town, but the people here are extremely different." I said, recalling the events of the last two weeks. This was nothing similar to back home.

"And that is why I am going to get you out tonight." Cas said.

"No, not tonight. There are people here who are trapped here like me. I need to at least help them." I confessed and saw his confused expression. "It shouldn't be fair that I can escape but they, who have been here longer than me, can't."

"But you just said-"

"I know what I said." I shushed Cas. "But they are here against their will and I need to help them."