Prologue

Relationships are an unfortunate necessity - they bring the purest of joys entwined with the most painful of heartaches.

As part of our basic instructions - our DNA - we are engineered to form connections with one another.

We simply have to, if not for friendship, for reproduction.

Some can form relationships so very easily, in the same manner as one recites their ABCs.

Others cannot - the outliers. The ones who are alone, either by choice or by the cruel rulings of other people.

Make no mistake, there is a grave distinction between being alone and being lonely. To be alone is to physically isolate yourself from other beings. To be lonely is a state of mind, a feeling - one that cannot be remedied by surrounding yourself with people.

We've all been alone, at one point or another. But how many truly know the rotting pain of being lonely?

This is a story of a lonely girl: one who clung onto her monsters for the sake of company and routine.

Because surely it is better to stick with the monsters than it is to be alone?

This mantra, although helpful for being alone, didn't resolve her loneliness.

That required a more intricate approach: one that only a special someone could yield.

And that someone was Asher Kent.