Today

A/N: As always, I recommend listening to the playlist which you can find on my spotify at canttouchthis or on my Tumblr at canttouchthis87.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 8, 1998

The night before graduation, the Seventh Years were all together at a campfire beside the Black Lake. A boombox sat between Theo and Neville, currently playing Fatboy Slim's "The Rockafeller Skank". Hermione felt warm, both from Firewhiskey and the unusually hot June day. Her classmates were telling stories - waxing nostalgic on their seven years together.

"Do you remember when we first saw Theo in First Year?" Pansy shouted to Draco, squeezing Theo's hand and giving him an apologetic look.

Draco burst out laughing. "You mean when he came in with a New Kids on the Block CD?"

Hermione couldn't help laughing, and even Theo's lip quirked up slightly, though his eyes were narrowed at Pansy. The girl gave him a small pout and Theo rolled his eyes, kissing the witch.

Hermione felt so unbelievably comfortable, sitting between Draco's legs with his arms wrapped around her. It still amazed her - how much had changed in such a short time. She had started the year feeling completely separate from these people, and now she couldn't imagine life without them.

"We should do this every year!" Hermione shouted at one point. She felt Draco chuckle in her ear and gave him a shoulder punch in response. "I mean it - we should come back or meet somewhere. Drink and talk - no matter what."

Dean Thomas rolled his eyes. "Everyone says that - it never happens."

"I'll put it in my planner - then it must happen," Hermione insisted, a look of determination marking her face. There were some shouts of agreement - a general consensus that no one wanted this to be the last time they were all together.

As comfortable and happy as she was in that moment, her thoughts kept wandering to tomorrow - or more specifically, what life would be like after graduation.

Ever since his blow up with his father at the Formal, Draco had been oddly calm about the future, a notable divergence from his previous angst. He insisted that whatever happened next would be of his own making. She found herself envious of his clarity and peace of mind.

Hermione still didn't know what she wanted to do. A part of her wanted to join Draco on his road trip to see bands and learn about music. But she wondered if it was too much for their relatively new relationship. And further, there was still a small part of her that scoffed at behaving in a way that she would have once considered to be irresponsible.

But try as she might, and McGonagall could attest to countless meetings and rants, she couldn't find a career that interested her. After Justin's overdose and her own mother's death, she felt an obligation to make the most of her life. She didn't want to waste the time she had left in a career she didn't enjoy.

"Are you alright?" Draco whispered in her ear and she realized she must have been silent for quite some time.

She nodded. "Just thinking about tomorrow."

He hummed in her ear, brushing his nose against her neck. She leaned into him, savoring the feel of his chest against her back and looking up into the clear night sky.

"So, Hermione," Harry shouted from across the way. "What's your favorite Hogwarts memory?"

Hermione opened her mouth, but no words followed. There was just - so much. She remembered going with Harry to Hogsmeade for the first time in third year, and the time Neville tried to teach her how to rap. She even recalled with fondness playing video games with Ron while stoned - the thrill of trying something new.