10. Two Siblings

See notes at end of chapter

_-.•.-_

"Percy, I hardly think this counts as 'training'." The demigod in question shot the teen a half-smile, swinging her Xiphos sword downward to block the young teen's quick attack.
"Nah Dami..."
Sidestepping as the assassin brought his blade up in a powerful slash. "...I never said this was training..." Percy blocked his next attack as well before sliding the blade of her sword to the hilt of Damian's Xiphos sword. With a quick twist, his sword was soaring through the air.
"...This is just me beating your ass."

The Tatar Tot just shook his head at the demigod, before sullenly walking off to collect his sword.
Percy watched as the young teen sulked off the mat and towards his fallen weapon.
"You know you don't have to use a Xiphos right?"

Damian only grunted. "I am aware."
"Why do you?" Percy carefully studied the teen, her curiosity increasing as Damian awkwardly shifted on his feet.
Sure it wasn't uncommon for an assassin to master more than one blade, heck it was probably expected. However, it was still...odd.
Percy had never quite seen a mortal this dedicated to learning more about the godly world as Damian.

Besides Rachel.

"I would like to be able to defend myself properly while in the company of demigods." He glanced down at the leaf-shaped blade, his stoic expression unmoving. "If I were to provide aid in the next war I may not have access to my katanas."
Percy was left stunned by his words, although she really shouldn't have. All along she was expecting her brother and by extension Bruce and Dick to help with... whatever this new threat was.

She was expecting Tim and Damian to stay out of it for the most part, maybe on the sidelines but never in the line of danger. But looking at the serious expression on Dami's face Percy now knew that it wouldn't be just one of her mortal brothers that would be fighting by her side.
But both.

Percy realized with a start that she had come to see Damian as not only her brother's brother, but hers as well. Because if anyone were to say to the demigod that Damian was any less her brother than Jason she would have to point out that she is an aunt to countless winged horses.
Screw genetics.

Motioning for Damian to follow her to the bench, the two sat in silence for a good minute. By the way, Damian shifted Percy could tell he was uncomfortable by the silence, so Percy quickly pieced together the words she wanted to say. "Dami... you don't have to fight in this war or whatever this ends up being, I want you to know that I'm-" Damian stood to his feet and glared furiously at the demigod. "I'm helping. And that's final. I will assist you in any way I can Sea-spawn and nothing you can say to change that. I—why are you laughing?"

Percy couldn't help but chuckle at the way the little demon's face was scrunched up as well as the words that were coming from him. "You didn't let me finish." The small lad raised his eyebrows in confusion, Percy took this as her sign to continue. "You don't have to fight, yet you are choosing to...I want to thank you for--what?" It was Percy's turn to question the wee lad, as Damian's expression was still one of pure confusion.

"Why would you think I would not fight for you Percy?" The demigod opened her mouth to respond but Damian interrupted her, switching to Greek. "You are... my teacher as well as blood to Todd, who father considers a son. If anyone were to target you it would be my duty as well to decimate the coward."  Percy could only smile at the young boy, she knew that was as close as he could get to saying he cared and she was fine with that.

"Thank you little demon."

---