The Book

Notes:

Sorry for the longer wait this time :3 Finally got back to writing after some dreadfully busy times. All aboard the Emma train this chapter! Like before, fair warning — please age them up as you see fit *blush*

_______________

Despite everyone calling her naive, Emma was a fast learner.

Saying she'd finish up with the infants' and toddlers' bedtime routine so Gilda could have her bath first (and then get to work on secretly making ropes in the store room with Don), Emma now had the whole bathroom to herself.

See? When necessity struck, she'd learned to sway the situation her way.

With her stolen book propped up on the small side table next to the tub, she sat with her knees to her chest, submerged in bubbles up to her nose. Emma had been completely immersed in the story long enough that her fingers and toes had gone all pruny from the hot water.

This particular book had seemed promising — its chapters alternated between the female lead's and the male lead's points of view. She was sure that she'd be able to find something to work with as she tried to figure out that... thing about Ray. It had taken a while to get past the stuff she already knew about from her talks with Gilda: the butterflies in the stomach feeling, the wanting to hold hands feeling, and the daydreaming at length about someone in great detail were all somewhat familiar subjects. But as the bath water slowly cooled and she approached the middle chapters, she could swear that the water had gotten hotter again as she read along.

The vivid detail of the heroine's fantasy about the man had brought a flush to Emma's cheeks. Wow... is this what happens to you if you can't stop thinking of someone you like? Can you really not help it... and want to do... those kinds of things? She was feeling just as flustered as when she'd read a book of scary stories for the first time — she had to skim over it while peeking through her fingers, barely taking in the sentences and skipping lines until she finally reached the end of the chapter.

Phew.

Sighing in relief after nearly burning up from secondhand embarrassment, she turned the page to the male protagonist's next chapter. And lo-and-behold, he was dreaming.

Oh! This part might be what I was looking for! Finally.

But her relief didn't last long. After only a few lines she was already right back in that vividly descriptive dreamscape, only this time it was the man's repressed desires confronting her with every word. He writhed in his sleep as tumultuous and romantic feelings overtook his sleeping body.

Oh no, this is definitely it! I can already tell this is exactly what I saw... but now that I'm reading about it... I feel like I shouldn't be! AHHH!

But Emma, although secretly faint of heart about these things, was not one to give up halfway — once she started something, she had to finish it. She had to understand. When she tentatively reached out to turn the page, she let out a huge sigh, realizing that she'd been holding her breath.

Wow, calm down Emma, this is normal. It's just a story. What are you getting so worked up for? It's not like you're watching Ray again right now, dummy! This is just a book so...

So, nope.

Nope, nope, nope.

This was all about Ray. And she was going to have to accept it.