Chapter 16 - Rematch

Artwork from Light Novel (colored by Alex_Storm1 [Twitter])

"Do you see them?" You shout to Sinon over the wind rushing into your ears. You were both flying south from the crater you had met Asuna at. Apparently, that's where Alice, Bercouli, and Vecta were heading.

"Nothing. How about you, Eugeo?" Before both you and Sinon left to chase them down, Eugeo insisted that he wanted to come with you. Something about not wanting to lose Alice again. He borrowed one on the Integrity Knight's, Renly's, dragon.

"Not much luck from me, either... Wait," You turn your head to Eugeo. "I see them!" He points to a small, circular pillar. You squint your eyes. Indeed, there did seem to be two figures with a dragon on the pillar. "We need to get closer!"

You descend towards the mound of dirt. As you got closer, the shapes became clearer. The dragon was covered in blood and looked very weak. In fact, it didn't look like it was living at all. As for the figures, one of them was (you were guessing) Alice, holding on to a man with blue hair and a slight beard. The closer you got, the more you could see the wounds the man had sustained. He had lost one of his arms and he had a large hole in his chest. He's gone. You lower your head.

You reach the pillar and stand in silence. Alice turns around and faces you all. "Eugeo..." Eugeo walks over silently and places his hand over Alice's shoulder. She, in return, stands and embraces Eugeo tightly. "H-He's..." She chokes on her tears. "Eugeo, he's-"

"I know." Eugeo returns Alice's hug. "I'm sorry. If we had gotten here sooner, then Bercouli-" So, that's Bercouli.

"No, do not be sorry. It is my fault for not paying attention and being taken by Vecta. What about these two? Are they from the real world like Asuna?" You give her a nod. "I see... How about the others? Are they safe?"

"They were heading for some ruins," You start. "But the knights from our world are starting to close in on them."

"In that case, I must join them. Eugeo, may I take a ride with you on your dragon?"

"No, Alice," Sinon interrupts. "You need to keep heading south, towards the World's End Alter." The what now? Did Asuna tell Sinon some other stuff? Or was it Yui? I'm so confused. "There's a conso- crystal panel there. If you touch it, then the people from the real world will bring you to them. Eugeo, can you take Alice with you on your dragon? Make sure she gets there safely."

"Got it." He responds.

"What about us?" You ask. "Shouldn't we be going with them?"

"We have business to take to take care of." What? 

Eugeo takes off with Alice behind him. You wave to them, then turn back to Sinon. "I have several questions. First, what is this World's End Alter thingy?"

"Asuna told me that that was Kirito's end goal. To get Alice to the alter to stop her from being used as a military weapon." Sinon explains.

"Alright... I'm still a bit confused but I think I've got it. On to question two, what 'business' do we have?"

"Well, it's just a hunch, but I don't think this Vecta guy is finished."

"What do you mean?"

"You know the way a ton of American players are logging into the Underworld? What if Vecta does the same and logs back in here? If he does then he could catch up to Alice and Eugeo and stop them from reaching the alter. It is just a theory, but we can't take the risk of letting him follow Alice."

~

"Guys!" Asuna shouts with joy. "You're all here!" She runs to hug each and every one of her friends.