Chapter 37

Isabella and I stood with Liu Ming and Jax flanking us. It had been three days since our ragged group had stumbled through the human entrance, Jax non-responsive and Isabella dazed.

With the lack of food and sleep, not to mention the dehydration, our group had looked far worse for wear.

The plaza was filled with every Spirit. The air seemed to hum like the moment before a gun went off. I could feel the heat from my companions, but their energy was lost in the flood of emotion that danced in the center of the circle.

Perkha led the council meeting as I was the one to make the request.

The small bell in her hand rang and the plaza quieted, waiting for the first words.

The circle of people around us trained their eyes on Jax as he stepped forward. As he passed, I caught the edge of his pungent odor. The herbs used to heal him, though medicinal, smelled of old sewage and decaying fungi.

His left arm hung at his side, the bandages still holding while it healed. He had been partly conscious for the last two days, but Jax still had trouble remembering the fight. His memory was scrambled and the clouded look when he tried to remember tugged at my heartstrings.

"Maurea has given us her account of what happened on your journey, but we would like to know every detail before we vote." Siren had been quiet since the council learned of his actions. Even now, Perkha sat closer, pinning herself between Atoya and Siren. "Any Spirit may speak, but the decision to take action still lies with the council. Jax, Liu Ming and our guest, Isabella, will testify as to what transpired in the last week on the deLaware estate and what they know of the Hunters. If we deem it dangerous, we may make the decision to declare war on the Hunters with a majority vote from the council as the representors of their gift."

Siren leaned forward and I watched the eyes of the observers follow him like he was raining to their barren desert. "Jax, my pupil, what happened and why do you feel war is the only solution?'

Jax stood taller, pulling his shoulders back as he addressed the man I despised.

"I can't say I remember what happened in great detail, but the Hunters have weapons far more advanced than we had dreamed of." He bowed his head at Faraji and the winged man returned the gesture. "They also imprisoned me and attempted to threaten me for information."

"I support Jax's statement and add my own experience as evidence." Faraji added his own accord. Anaula sat next to him, her hand covering his as the bruised knuckles gripped a walking cane.

"We cannot wait any longer." Jax's eyes moved along the crowd, every council member holding his gaze.

"And what would you have us do?" A willowy old man, Ezili, croaked. "We know nothing of the Hunters. If they are as powerful as you say, why should we engage them in battle?"

"Because hiding and running is disgraceful. Nothing will change if you continue to hide. Even a guilden cage is a prison of itself." Liu Ming was emotionless as she passed Jax. Her lips were tight, glare dark. "If you want to hide, do it on your own, but recognize the threat facing you."

"How dare you-" Ezili cut her off, his white eyebrows raised.

Liu Ming cut him off with one swipe of her hand. "I dare speak my mind. Your fellow member claimed any Spirit may speak, I am."

Her hands clenched in front of her, pacing in front of the inner table with long, even steps.

"You don't live here. I am a council member for Intutum, you are not one of my charges." Ezili stood, his hand tapping on the table as his gutted words tore at us. "Why should you get to determine the fate of these people when you are not one."