Chapter 29

The town where Liu Ming lived was small and quaint, nestled in a valley between twin rolling hills. Cows grazed along the stone wall separating the ramshackle houses and the farm land around it. A small pond bled into an intricate system and I could see small figures, children, playing among the reeds.

I couldn't help but pause, taking in the view. It looked so much like Intutum, but lacked the flora and fauna that somehow managed to grow underground. For the first time, I felt the pang of homesickness for a place, not a person.

I began my begrudged walk around the town, angling toward the house that lay on the outskirts of town. Clumps of smoke lifted from the run-down chimney as an old woman worked to clean the garden around the house. I could see her worn hands pulling long weeds from the earth as a child rocks on a whisker basket that had been turned over, her feet and auburn curls swaying with the wind.

"Gooday, ma'am. Could you point me in the direction of Liu Ming, I was told she lived on the outskirts of this village." The old woman stood, bones cracking at the sudden shift. Her eyes narrowed, her creased forehead accentuating as her sagging skin pulled inward.

"Who are you? I haven't seen you around these parts."

I looked down at my tattered clothes. I could see where I might spark some fear and apprehension, especially amongst close minded country folks.

"I'm just passing through, on my way to my old home and I was hoping to find an old friend along the way," I offered, rocking on the ball of my heels. "If you can't help me find her, I can always ask someone else."

"That won't be necessary, Miss?" The woman cut off, watery eyes staring at me under raised brows.

"You may call me Maurea if you would like."

"Miss Maurea, then. I'm sorry, but I don't know anyone of the name Ming. That's foreign, you're not likely to find someone around these parts."

"Do you know someone I could ask, another person who might know more people in the area? Perhaps the village elder?" I hadn't seen anyone in the village, one the few shutters moving as people looked through. Most of the villagers were in the fields. Perhaps this was not the right village or Liu Ming was hiding deeper than I thought.

"Not one that comes to mind, we keep to ourselves here. May I ask what you want from her?" The old woman's expression shifted into what I assumed would be a coy look on a younger person. "Pardon an old woman. We don't get many gossip worthy topics here."

"It's no trouble, I just need her help and was told she was someone to trust." I straightened the riding suit and turned, "I'm sorry to have disturbed you, I will take my leave now."

"One moment, Maurea." The woman turned to the child at her feet, her already sagging back bending even farther to adjust to the girl's height. "Leila, can you leave us alone for now?"

Leila nodded, braids bobbing on her head as she turned and ran down the hill, calling to the other children as she went.

"She's still young," the woman mused, "I remember when I was her age. That was many years ago. Now," she turned to stare at her, her eyes bleeding into mine, "I don't know who sent you, but you need to explain who you are and I mean who you are. I don't want any lies."

"I'm sorry, ma'am, but I've told you the truth. I'm traveling to my old home and need to find Liu Ming along the way. If you cannot help me, I'll be off and stop wasting your time."

"That won't do, Maurea. If I knew Liu Ming, what would convince me to tell you where she is? A young lady should be able to live without having to look over her shoulder to see if people are following her and spreading her name like it's a leaf on the wind." The old woman raised her finger, pointing the knobby tip at me.