part XII: dinner is served

Songs:
Nobody Asked Me if I Was Okay- Sky Ferreira
It's Not Living (If It's Not With You)- The 1975
Easy- Troye Sivan, Kacey Musgraves, and Mark Ronson
Easier (Live from the Vault)- 5 Seconds of Summer
Perfect Crime-Tinashe
Drew Barrymore-SZA
Happiness-Taylor Swift

Caroline had sent out two letters by Wednesday morning. One to her father and mother lying to them that everything was perfect and she couldn't be happier. Reminding them how grateful she was for her opportunity in the ton. Perhaps her father would see through it but her mother never would. The second was more truthful and sent to Sebastian, though she still omitted the truth that Anthony had reentered her life. It mainly consisted of reassurance that she was still alive though miserable, and wished desperately she could see him again. 

The last letter, not quite sent, was to Patrick and within the pages, she spilled everything. She told him how Anthony was there, that he refused to leave her alone, and that now both their families' reputations were at stake. The entire thesis being: we cannot trust Anthony Bridgerton and get me the hell out here!

She hoped her deliberate begging would convince him to rescue her, and he would protect her, like a big brother ought to, and take the fall for their parents. All she knew was she would not be able to make it through the marriage season alone. 

Although it did not have to be that way. She did wonder if Mia would be able to understand. She could certainly understand Anthony being a total ass and perhaps feeling a bit out of place in Grosvenor square high society. But Caroline wondered if her complaining about the privilege to marry out of her status and stay in such a beautiful home, be dressed in so many beautiful things would only confirm she was the spoiled brat she feared. The two were casually silent watching the ducks in the lake swim by, little ducklings following behind mama learning to weave among the emerald reeds of the lake. 

Mia however broke the silence between the two. Clearing her throat, "Carrie," finally addressing Caroline how she asked her to from the start, after the five days they had spent bonding together. "Do you want to finally tell me what is going on between you and the Viscount?"

"So you noticed..." Caroline rolled her neck in discomfort, fingers over temples shamefully hiding her blushing face.

"I think everyone with eyes has noticed," Mia said with a sympathetic laugh.

"I know! But it is by far easier to just continue to pretend this is not happening to me instead," Caroline teased as she laid back into the grass feeling the rustling sensation of the grass cooling her sun-drenched skin. 

"And I've let you do it all week, I know it isn't working."

Mia was right Caroline had spent the past three days exerting all her energy avoiding Anthony, the subject of him, or even the very thought of him. It had been a near-impossible task but successful despite a short burst of tears when she wrote Patrick even just vaguely describing the situation.

Caroline let out a deep breath shielding her eyes from the sun as she watched the large fluffy cloud float by; pure white tufts of wool, just like the wool she sheered off her father's sheep every time this season. If she were home right now she and William would have likely spent all morning sheering sheep then washed up and eaten the cherries straight off the trees while relaxing in the cool shade of the nearby woodland creek. The only positive thing Anthony had done since her arrival was completely distract her from homesickness and now she was truly aware of it. Realizing how much she did not fit in Grosvenor square nor did she particularly wish to. 

"Do you ever miss your family, Mia?" Caroline propped herself on her elbows. Caroline hardly registered how intrusive the question may have been for Mia. She had only ever told Caroline they lived in the next village over.