Dragon Heart

Salvia watched in fascination as Aster danced, floating through the forest, her dainty feet causing small bursts of rich flames with every step. She spun, the gentle winds swirling thought her loose skirts and her ebony locks fluttering softly in the winds. Her sisters of age joined in too, weaving in and out, pirouetting in synchronisation, each move sending a bloom of flowers drifting slowly to the forest bed.

She watched with eagerness with an urge to join in with her sisters. She held herself back. She could not join yet, she wasn't worthy. To dance so carefree, one needed to pass the ritual and prove their merit. She wouldn't have to wait for long, however. This dance was a prelude to the beginning of the initiation in which she would partake in.

Applauding enthusiastically as the dance came to its fast-paced crescendo and end. Her sisters dropped, letting their bodies plummet to the ground till, at the last minute, they suddenly stopped, their skirts billowing out in the air. As they landed on their feet softly, she felt her heartbeat furiously. This would be her soon. She would make her sisters proud.

Aster walked towards her, almost floating. "You will become one of us soon", Aster whispered, ruffling her head and then before she could reply, Aster walked off, joining the coven.

"My sisters and children, come forth" Elder Oleander called out. "It is time for our young witches to become one of our sisters. To unlock their powers, they must consume the heart of the dreaded dragon and be fierce in their conviction against their seductive evil".

Her eyes gleamed in excitement. The hunt was to start. The elder spoke more, weaving tales of traditional and lore until finally, she announced the rising of the Star which marked the beginning of the hunting ritual. She stepped forward along with fellow fledgeling witches and received the coven's blessing. It was her time to become one of them.

***

Days had passed and she had yet to see a dragon. Dragons were abundant but she wanted one that was more ancient, with a powerful beating heart, powerful enough to increase her powers more so than others.

Those were rare, but she would never give up. She wanted to make her sisters proud. Trekking on through the dense canopy of branches, she stilled. Something was there ahead. It was something... otherworldly. She couldn't place what it was but its presence was disguised. Intrigue peaked, she snuck forward heading to the source of this strange aura.

Brushing away the large leaves, she came to a stop. A large river lay ahead, a glittering expanse of water. Sleepy grass swayed gently in the caressing breeze. She crept forward, her bare feel silent. There was no one here. Small animals milled about, without any care in the world.

Frowning, she scanned around her again. Where was it?

Leaning her hand on the tree, she peered through the leaves impatiently. Not only did she want a powerful heart but she also wanted to return triumphant first.

Suddenly, she became aware of a hot breath, fanning the back of her neck. She spun around in surprise, her heart beating wildly.

Stood there was the most beautiful man she had ever seen. His skin was a tawny gold and his hair a vibrant red like an inferno of flames. His eyes a crystal emerald slit that gazed down at her curiously. She stumbled back away from him and blushed once she realised, he was naked and wet, the droplets leisurely trailing down his toned body, every muscle gleaming.

"I wonder what is a young little witch doing out here, all alone?" He purred.

"I- I-" Salvia stammered, overwhelmed by his beauty.

"I what?" he asked, stalking forward slowly.

She averted her eyes as soon she saw his exposed parts and took another step back as she looked at everything but him.