A Morning of Sunlight

Chapter Twelve: A Morning of Sunlight.

His coffee cupboard was stuffed with creamers, strange sugars and different flavoured coffees. All had been picked at and as I sipped on my second mug of coffee, I watched as he poured sugar packets into his coffee and hummed under his breath as he topped it with whipped cream.

Lux was similarly perplexed, watching the Alpha Supreme as if he was something to be unravelled.

Muffin didn't care. She had gone to lounge in a sun-spot after she had been fed to her heart's content. She had scored a swab at the Alpha, batting at his large hand when he risked a back-rub.

"Would you like to see your rooms?" He took a breath as he pivoted, sitting back against the counter with a mess of sugar and cream held in mug that looked too fragile for his large hand.

"Sure!" Lux drained her drink. "Now, what's your opinion on plants."

"I love them." The Alpha led us into the hall, his gait slow. He was slow to climb the stairs, avoiding looking at me as I inched up the steps on fragile legs. He kept talking, his voice easy and low. "I planted the garden myself when I came here and try to maintain it the best I can."

"So you paint and garden." I gripped the banister fiercely with a white-knuckled grip.

"I don't think my position in society bars me from that," He peeked back at me briefly, brows furrowing when he glanced over me. I was glad he didn't offer to help – my pride would have snapped. "I tried my hand at growing lavender, you should – uh – go into the garden and see it. Sometime. If you want."

Lux peeked at me. "Meg – sorry, Nova...is actually allergic to lavender."

We reached the top of the stairs and branched off to the side.

"It makes me sick." I didn't know if allergic was the right word, but the smell of it only reminded me of white-walls and the smell made my mind hazy. A passing perfume in the street had been enough to make me nauseous.

"That's fine." He replied quickly. "No worries."

He stopped at the beginning of a hall that ended with an arched window. There were only two doors. "You can take these rooms if you like them. They have their own bathrooms too, so ..."

Lux peeked inside one. "This is literally bigger than my apartment. Who needs this much space? Thank you though," She leaned back out again. "I am grateful for your help, Alpha Supreme."

"Easton," He assured her. "You can call me by my name. Alpha Supreme makes me feel old."

I peeked in the other door. The window had been pulled open and a fresh vast of flowers sat on the nightstand. The sheets smelled of fabric softener and the carpet was soft underfoot.

I bet the bed had cost more than my apartment, but I couldn't bring myself to take another step further. Everything was white. Pristine, perfect white. The walls had been freshly painted. The ceiling was white. The poster bed was covered with a crisp, white duvet. I glanced at the ensuite. White tiles.

With my breath pinching, I exited quickly.

"Do you have any painted rooms?" I didn't look at him, my attention fixed resolutely at the bay window and the expanse of sky beyond.

"I – just one." He glanced at the room, then back at me. "But it isn't as nice as this one."

"I'll take anything." When I closed my eyes, white flashed. White walls. White lightening. Lordie – it was burned into my brain.