Warmth.

Chapter 28 - Warmth

I left Doresly whimpering, but alive.

There was a pronounced bounce in my step as I walked down the hall, humming under my breath. The other patients knew I was there now and watched me through the bars. One opened his mouth, beginning to spew vile words at me but the golden eyed Alpha waiting in the door loosed a single, warning snarl.

The man fell silent.

Those waiting in the room, Blav, Lux, Carada and the Ravager Adken, all eyed me when I walked inside. There was blood on my hands, the taste of flesh in my mouth. Easton held the door and stepped behind me, his chest a whisper away from my back.

"Well, an interesting approach." Carada commented. "I've been questioning that man for days and within five minutes, he's a blubbering mess."

"He's frightened by me."

"No." The older Lycan eyed me contemplatively. "I have seen frightened people. Rarely have I seen a man broken down to desperate, irrational terror."

"What can I say?" I examined my hands, unwilling to look at Lux. "He never took my threats seriously when I was kept behind an unbreakable wall. He laughed at me, but I think deep down, he knew that if I had the chance, I would make good on my promise."

"You promised to shatter his remaining hand." Carada pointed out.

"I promised that he would never tear another person open." I levelled my gaze at the low Alpha once more. "I took the fingers on one hand to save myself some torment. What is a doctor without their hands? Today, I shattered the other hand. Maybe, I'll crack open his skull and take his last weapon. I've given him an ultimatum. It's up to him to decide who he fears more. Me, or the Ravi." 

"You're a little demented." Adken appraised me. "I knew Doc-Mai's fear of you was justified."

"Doc-Mai isn't afraid of me." I scowled at the mention of her. "She isn't capable of anything other than cruelty and annoying perfect hair."

"Hmm." The Ravager examined his nails, "She made us in your image."

"You're making it sound like she's in love with me now." I glanced at Lux briefly, but she was staring down at the screen with a slight frown. I cleared my throat, my tone jovial. "I wouldn't blame her. I have always been a charming soul."

Blav snorted.

Easton brushed my shoulder. "Would you like to wash your hands?"

"Good idea. I'd hate to get blood on your fancy, expensive things."

He smiled at me. "I can afford another."

"Silly." I moved to touch his arm, startingly when I marked him with red. Doresly's blood marked him, trailed along the tanned, scarred skin of his arm. "Oh. You've ... I ..."

I marked another part of me, but I didn't care about that. I stepped away from him, looking to Lux again. My peppermint friend watched me with a shuttered expression, hands wrapped around herself.

A lump hardened in my throat and the joy, the relief of enacting my revenge against Doresly fell and crashed. The realization that this, that this choice might turn Lux against me crashed through me,  destroying the high of Doresly's agony.

My breath pinched. She would know what I was and that I enjoyed pain.

I fisted my shaking hands. "I need to wash my hands."