Chapter 2 - L Academy

It took all of Du Ye's 20 years of life experience to not leave his mouth open as he was led into the Lin Manor by Attorney Lin. Du Ye is currently a law student at X university and is undergoing an internship in Lin Firm. He was good enough to be accepted in the company, but he was greatly honored when one day Attorney Lin called him for a meeting. Every intern in the firm was very envious of him, but who knew, he was called to babysit the Lin Family's illegitimate child, or at least that's what he thought. Attorney Lin did not tell him the whole story about Lin Ran. Du Ye was only given an NDA to sign and a brief about taking care of all Lin Ran's necessities. Du Ye was confused, who was this Lin Ran? Anyone who knows the Lin Family of L Country knows that they only have Lin Qi and Lin Xu as children so where could this other child be from? It wasn't really explained to Du Ye, thus his belief that she was an illegitimate child that was dump into the family. But this thought was kept by Du Ye to himself, who was he to judge the complicated life of the rich and the famous? Being able to enter the Lin Manor was honor enough.

Prejudice can be very difficult, but the first impression can be a different thing. Imagine how astonished Du Ye when he first saw Lin Ran, the child he thought was illegitimate and improper. "Good morning Eldest Miss." Attorney Lin greeted Lin Ran as she entered the room. He introduced Du Ye to her. Lin Ran looked at Du Ye for a moment. Du Ye felt a chill on his back when Lin Ran stared at him as if reading his mind. "Ni-nice to meet you Eldest Miss." He stuttered because he was intimidated by Lin Ran. The last time he was this intimidated by someone was when he was interviewed by the Dean of the X University Law School. She has a very strong and cool aura.

Lin Ran has a good grasp of human emotions and the moment she saw Du Ye she knew exactly what he thought of her. She can't help but remember her discussion with her father this morning after another awkward breakfast with the family. "I only have one year, and I will be an adult. You don't have to inconvenience your whole family to accommodate me. I can live in the academy's dorm for the whole year, then I will be out of your care when I go to the capital to continue my studies." Lin Ran clarified to her father before he can open to her the problem of not introducing her to the public as the Lin's eldest miss. "I understand. I might not introduce you to the public, but you are still my child. Take this and buy anything you need." Master Lin said as he reached out for a black card to her. Lin Ran looked at the card. She remembered her mother presenting her a laminated check, "Ran-ran, this is your father." She was waving it happily. So as Lin Ran looked at the card, she almost smiled remembering her silly mother, at least now she does not need to laminate the card to introduce it as her father.

Du Ye was the one who drove Lin Ran to L Academy. He also assisted her in signing all necessary papers for the school. This was his job. For any Lin family member, it would have been Attorney Lin, however, to avoid inquires, Du Ye was assigned this job. "You have to take an exam this afternoon Eldest Miss. L Academy has four departments and this exam will enable the school to assign which department you belong to. There are Athletics, Arts, Math and Sciences, and General Departments." L Academy boosts its ability to produce the best of the best among these four departments. There are many debates on which department has the best students, but it is commonly known to the faculty and staff that the General Department has both the best and the worst students. You are only assigned in that department if either you do not excel on the other three or that you can excel in all three departments, thus having both the worst and the best. Lin Qi is the number one student at the Arts Department while her twin brother, Lin Xu, is the number one basketball player in the Sports Department. Du Ye wanted to explain this to Lin Ran but decided not to because as he was starting to explain the departments to her she received a call. She frowned for a moment but answered the call. "I'm at the academy." There was a long pause, then she said, "No, I will take it. It could be interesting." Another pause and the call ended.