Late

{Forty years later...}

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.

The sound wouldn't go away.

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.

It ebbed its way into his external acoustic meatus and rattled his skull. His already sensitive, feverish head which ached in dull pain.

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.

A hand reached out and blearily tried to find the phone, aglow as the alarm went off.

Blind, desperate fingers searched the nightstand surface, pushing down at the smooth wood in search for the cause of the annoying noise.

A phalange finally touched down on the sought [Stop] button and silenced the device for good. Finally, he could push his face back down into the pillow and drown out the hurt coursing in his brain.

The screen remained on for a few measly seconds, populated by other notifications too.

[8:00]
[Saturday, November 4]
[Calendar| appointment thing: Today at 10:30 AM]
[News| MTTNN: Plans for this upcoming Memorial Day are underway. A celebration to honor both human and monster soldiers for the first time ever! Will this be as fabulous as I am? Unlikely!]

A starry eye cracked open, tiredly looking to where the sunlight had just begun to spill into the room from his window. Far too early to consider waking up yet. On top of that, he doubted that unsteady legs would carry him too far, before giving out.

So many reasons to stay just a few more minutes more in the comfort of the bedding. Besides, nobody was there to nag him about getting up on time.

Rurik turned on his side, stretching his shoulders back in the process. He took in the sight of the empty space beside him as sleepy numbness fuzzed over his mind and his eyes fluttered shut once more.

A mentality of just "five more minutes" had betrayed the skeleton, a conclusion Rurik came to by the time he shot awake again. The entire carpet in front of the bedroom window was warmed by the sun's rays, irradiant enough to remind him that some vacuuming was in order.

His cell was buzzing again, but presently he was not fortunate enough for the cause to be an alarm. He sat up in order to look over at the caller ID.

[Cupcake]
[Remind Me] [Message]
[Decline] [Accept]

Fuck.

His gaze drifted up to the time at the top of the screen. It was already half past eleven, he was late - very, very late. As the call faded, he was met with ten text notifications he had already missed from Lotus.

Rurik threw the covers off and stood up, lurching for the closet and kicking a few stray bottles across the floor in the process. Old contents of soured liquor spilt onto the rug as the neck dipped to the floor.

There was a brief debate of whether or not he could pull off his current outfit, but alas he decided it was best to change. Honestly, he needed a shower too but there simply no time for that.

Now to deal with the blunt ache in his lower back from moving too quickly without proper preparation, which was utter bullshit. Maybe a Motrin or something, he had that in the car.

He yanked off his shirt and slid on his usual green uniform, fumbling with the buttons briefly. Then slid off his shorts and dumped on the floor in favor of a pair of jeans tossed over the door handle of the bathroom.

Yanking them up his legs and over his hips, he grabbed his hat to tug onto his head and his phone to shove in his back pocket.

Breakfast time.