I

"Behind every exquisite thing that existed, there was something tragic," —Oscar Wilde.

When I was younger, love was always a desideratum. If I wasn't in love, I was lost. It's all I thought about, all I dreamt about, and all I wanted. Then, as I grew older, those feelings started to fade away. Everyone I loved ended up hurting me. So as a way to cope, I avoided love at all costs. Love terrified me to an extent that is impossible to formulate into words.

But love is a privilege. We did not evolve to love. We evolved to reproduce and keep our population alive. To keep ourselves alive. Somehow, somewhere along the line, we started marrying for love, and that has resulted in evolutionary stagnation.

But love is weak. Love fades, very easily. It's useless, at least in my opinion.

The only thing I love is my dog, Scooter. She's a tricolored poodle-Cavalier Spaniel mix, and she means the world to me. I would give my life for her without hesitation.

Scooter is the only thing i need in my life 😩

I unlock my phone, reading notifications one after the other. I open a discord notification from my best friend, Chi, and type out an answer.

demise 20:49
ay bruv where the hell are u

middle twix 20:50
your moms bed

demise 20:50
cerying and shtiting tears rn

middle twix 20:51
just creamed
i mean screamed

demise 20:52
WHAT

I chuckle to myself and close the app. I collect Scooters leash and harness, preparing for her daily walk. We step out of the apartment building together and make our way to the nearby lake.

North Carolina was a strange change of pace for me, and I'm still adjusting. I was born and raised in New York and only moved here for college. I'm in my second year at Duke, majoring in theatre studies and minoring in musical theatre. It's beautiful here, Durham is vastly different from the built-up city that never sleeps. But it's not home, and I'm missing the 7 train mariachi bands.

Scooter stands on her hind-legs, jumping on me. Her head barely reaches my shin.
     "What's wrong, Scoots?" I ask her, leaning down to pick her up. I carry her in my arms the rest of the way.

When we arrive, there's a boy sitting on the pier. He's wearing a pastel pink hoodie while sitting with his legs crossed, his body facing the setting sun. The reflection of the sky on the water was truly a sight, and paired with his dark silhouette the scene looked like it belonged in a museum.

Scooter starts whining softly, and I know she won't stop unless she gets to meet this stranger. So we trudge over to boy whose currently fiddling with a loose thread in his jeans.

     "Hi," I begin, his eyes meet mine as he peers up at me. "Would you mind if we sat with you?" When I say we, I gently lift Scooter in my arms, making it known that I'm talking about her.
He smiles gently, nodding in response to my request. I place myself down next to this stranger. "Your dog is so cute," he says when I place Scooter on my lap.
     "Thank you," I smile softly to myself. Scooter jumps out of my lap and climbs into his, jumping on his chest. "Scooter!" I try to pick her up so she doesn't cause any trouble, but the boy isn't mad or upset. The boy giggles and lifts Scooter up so that she's resting on his shoulder. I apologize anyways, fearing that Scooter is being a nuisance.
     "Don't worry, don't worry," he laughs, looking over to me, "Scooter is adorable."
I smile at his comment and watch as Scoots continues to jump on this total stranger as if she's known him all her life.

Eventually, Scooter gets a little tired and lies down on his lap. The boy pets her head and that's when i notice his nails. They're painted light blue and purple, altering between each finger.
     "I love your nails," I say absent-mindedly. He makes eye contact with me.
     "I love your dog," he replies with a light-hearted tone in his voice. I chuckle at his words.
     "Correction: my dog loves you." He laughs at my response. The sun has finally set now, and the stars are beginning to appear. I take this as the time for Scooter and I to make our way back home. I check the time, 21:56.
     "It's getting late, we should probably head home," I say while getting up. He stands up as well, holding Scooter out to me.
     "It was wonderful meeting you, Scooter." He gives her one last head scratch and looks up at me. "Have a good night!" He says with a smile on his face. I smile back at him before beginning to walk away.
     "You have a good night as well," I call out to him. Even from a distance, I can see his cheeks heating up a soft pink.

We make our way back home, Scooter in my arms. While we walk back, I can't help but think about that boy. Something about him made me feel safe. He felt like home, almost. Being around him felt right. And I think Scooter felt it, too.

—————
OMG HEY ITS MY FIRST POST SINCE I CAME OUT :D
everyone welcome me back or you're transphobic /j
but in all seriousness, it's really nice to be back. i took a break for my mental health and i recently got the inspiration to start writing again.
fun fact, this was originally planned to be a wilbur x reader but it didn't feel right so now it's KARLLLLLL and i'm loving it and karl ♥️♥️♥️ karl ♥️♥️♥️ karl jacobs!!! ♥️♥️♥️♥️ okay anyways bye i'm gonna start writing chapter 2 now bye love you all!!!!!!
-bo