II

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars," —Oscar Wilde.

Spring is my favorite time of year.   Everything begins to renew, tree buds blossom a light green, wildflowers pop up out of the new grass, I love everything about it.  Scooter does, too, as spring allows her to chase butterflies and dragonflies.  She also eats flowers so that's something, I guess.

Something about this morning in early April tells me that it's going to be a good day.

I just put the kettle on and I'm waiting for the water to come to a boil.  Scooter comes to scratch at my leg and I pick her up from under her arms, her head resting on my shoulder.  She licks my cheek.

"Hello! good morning, my love," I say as I hold her closer, letting her lick me some more.  The kettle begins to whistle, making Scooter slightly jump.  I place her down and grab the handle, moving the kettle off of the stove and pouring the water into my favorite mug.  My friend Reese gave it to me as a going away gift, and it's one of the few reminders of home that I own.   As I wait for the tea to seep, I whip out my phone and send him a message on discord.

middle twix 10:01
hey nerd
what are you doing rn

zeen 10:02
your mother

middle twix 10:02
very funny, dickhead
i miss you guys a lot

zeen 10:03
o
we miss u too
whens ur spring break?

middle twix 10:05
in like 2 weeks or smth
why?

zeen 10:06
auri and i are gonna visit you

I smile to myself as I drink my tea.  Reese's girlfriend, Auri, has always been so sweet.  I think she's too good for him, though I'd never tell him that.  And hearing that they're coming down to visit me over spring break excites me.   It's been way too long since I last saw them.

Since Scooter only woke up about ten minutes ago, meaning that I should take her out for a walk soon.  Once I finish drinking my tea and place the mug in the sink, I gather her leash and harness and we exit our apartment.

The walk is fairly ordinary, the most exciting thing about it is that Scooter found a caterpillar.  We're almost at the apartment when Scooter starts tugging on the leash.  She's trying to run towards something, but I can't make out what she's so worked up about.  The figure is continuing to move towards us and she starts barking.

When I'm able to see what she's barking at I relax and release a sigh of relief, thankful that it's nothing dangerous.  No, it's not any threat, just the boy from last night walking towards us in a frog sweatshirt.  I catch myself subconsciously smiling.

When he get's closer I can see that he's smiling, too.  He calls out to us from about 2 yards away.
"Hi, again," he stops in front of us.  Scooter jumps up on his leg.  "And hello to you, Scooter," he says as he bends down to pet her.
"Hello, stranger."  I smile down at him as he continues to play with Scooter.
"Karl," he says, looking up at me.   "My name is Karl."  His demeanor has shifted; he seems nervous now, like he's worried that someone will hear him.  He's fidgeting with the sleeve of his sweater as he stands up slowly. 
     "Lovely to see you again, Karl," I look up at him as his eyes dart away.  "I'm (y/n)."  I extend my hand to him, and he shakes it.  His hand is soft and warm, quite different from my normally cold hands.  "Well," I begin, letting go of his hand, "we should be on our way, I've got a few lectures I have to get to."  I notice he looks somewhat disappointed, so I add, "But, maybe we'll meet again." 
     "Maybe," he says with a smile.  I notice a slight pinkness dusts his cheeks, causing me to chuckle as I begin to walk away with Scooter.
     "Goodbye, Karl," I call out to him.  He replies with a quick 'goodbye!' and we're on our way home. 

As I'm listening to my professor ramble on about a topic I don't really care about, I allow my mind to wander and I find myself thinking about a boy with fluffy brown hair and rosy cheeks.  There was something so friendly about him, sort of care-free.  He seems like one of those people that you can sit in comfortable silence for hours on end without getting bored of each others company.  Something about the way he presents himself makes him approachable and almost comforting, in a way that I can't quite put into words.  This boy, Karl, is truly an enigma; and I want know as much about him as I can.

By the time my classes and lectures are over and I finish studying, it's already 8:29.  Scooter is fast asleep, but I feel the need to get out of this apartment and get some fresh air, so I decide to go for a walk by myself to the lake.  Since it's already dark out, I grab my pocket knife for self defense, just in case.  

While I'm walking to the lake, I can't help but wonder if Karl will be there as well.  I have a strong urge to get to know him, an urge that I can't seem to shake.  But as I approach the pier, I find myself disappointed to see that he is not there.  But I sit anyways, watching the trees sway as the first stars begin to appear.

I've always loved watching the stars.  Back home, I never get to see them due to the light pollution in and around the city area.  Even at my grandparents house on Long Island, the pollution effects the stars.  Granted, on Long Island you can see them, but not as bright and not as many as here in North Carolina.  So I watch in admiration, trying my best to count as many stars as I can. 

I've counted about 24 when I hear a voice from behind me, clearing his throat.  My hand goes instinctively to the knife in my pocket as I look over my shoulder to see who it is.  I let go of my hold on the pocket knife and my expression softens when I see his face.  He shifts his weight back and forth on his legs, causing him to slightly sway.  He takes a quick breath before speaking.

     "Would you mind if I sat with you?"