1|The Fight

Alassiel POV

Something rustles underneath me. I load my bow and peer down from my spot in the tree. A deer runs past, startling me. I tumble out of the tree, but because I am half elf, I land on my feet. I look over my bow and see that I almost snapped it in half, but see that it's fine, but my notched arrow broke. I curse in elvish but my Ada can always make more arrows. I untie Glosroch, my horse, and hop on, strapping my bow to my back and tucking the broken arrow back in my quiver.

"Ok Glos, let's go." I murmur to my brown and white horse. I gallop through the forest, slowing to a canter when Erebor comes into sight. I trot to the stables and dismount, then lead Glosroch to her stall. I don't have to untack her because I was riding bareback, so I give her a quick brushing. Then I make my way towards my home in Dale.

Once I'm there my father looks up from the woodblock that he is carving.

"Alassiel! Where were you?" He exclaimed.

"Oh, just out riding Glos." I say, leaving out the part about being in the forest. "I broke my arrow." I add.

My father sighs, but he is smiling, so I know that he is not really mad. "I'll make you more as soon as I can. Is Los- your bow ok? He asks.

"Yes, my bow is fine." I answer, heading into the kitchen. "Oh, and where's Naneth?" I question.

"Out riding with Edil and Ralea in the meadow. I'm surprised that you didn't pass them."

"I was... somewhere else." I say nervously, twiddling my thumbs.

"Alassiel Lossëa Adanessa Thruhín! How many times do I have to tell you to STAY OUT OF THE FOREST!" He scolds, shouting the last part.

"I'm sorry Ada..." I mumble.

"I don't want 'sorry' Alassiel! I want it to change. Why can't you just listen to me and ride in the meadow?" He says, clearly exasperated.

"Ada! I am old enough to take care of myself! I am 28 for Mahals sake! " I tell him, trying to defend myself.

"Alassiel, I know that you are 28. That doesn't mean that you can defend yourself from a raging pack of orcs!"

"Oh really?"

"Lossëa was a trained fighter AND STILL SHE WAS KILLED!"

"That's not fair."

"Life isn't fair, Alassiel. Lossëa proved that!"

"Stop talking to me about Lossëa! She is not me!"

"That doesn't mean that you can't make the same mistakes as her! I won't lose you too!"

I leave then, turning on my heel and running towards the only thing that can make me feel better. When I reach Lossë's grave, I go from a few tears to full out sobbing. "Why oh why did you have to leave, Lossë? Why?"
I collect myself and see that Lossë's grave is wet with tears. "Lossë,  Ada doesn't trust me and he won't let me go in the forest. Just because some orcs happened to be in the forest doesn't mean it'll happen to me!"
I lay down my head on Lossë's grave and drift off into a deep sleep.

When I wake up I am covered in sweat and tears again. I remember my dream clearly: Lossë and me were running along the stream, singing this silly song that my six year old self made up: Look at the sky, it is so high, look at the clouds, they are so high, look at the sun, it is so high, everything in the sky, is so so high!
Lossë was skipping and laughing, then she froze and her face became dead serious. A pack of ten orcs were advancing. I had no weapons or fighting skill, so Lossë told me to climb up a nearby tree. I scrambled up the trunk as she whipped out her bow and reached for an arrow, but there were none. She tossed her bow up to me, and I caught it. She took her sword out of her sheath and fought madly, her platinum blonde hair flying around. "Lossë!" I cried, terrified. She turned around to look at me and paused.    She turned back around and grew fearful. More orcs were coming. She reached for her knives, but they weren't there. I could only watch as an Orc stabbed her from behind. "LOSSË!!!!!" I shrieked. She stayed up long enought to kill the remaining orcs. Once they were all dead she fell to her knees and I scrambled down the tree. "Lossë, Lossë, please stay alive!" I sobbed.

"Listen closely, little Lassi. Keep that bow safe for me, ok?" I nodded. "I love you, little Lassi. I am about to depart to another world, ok?"

"L-Lossë. I will never, ever forget you." I choked out.

"Goodbye little Lassi. Tell Nana and Ada that I love them. And never let that bow come to harm." Those were her final words. Then she closed her eyes and drifted off into a eternal sleep with a smile on her face.

I have that dream almost every night. I feel so responsible for the death of my sister. If only I hadn't called out, if I had stayed quiet and been good, my amazing older sister would be alive. And now I have betrayed her. I yelled at Ada and I almost broke her bow.

Whew! Talk about drama llama red pajama. Please Vote and Comment! Btw this is the first fanfic I have ever posted so no nasty crit please. Also, read my random book if ya have the time! Also yes I did change little Lassi from 18 to 28 if you are rereading this. Lahv yah gummy bears! ~Rennï

•EDIT• Wow I really changed this so enjoy all. Also please ignore my cringey previous authors note. thx. have a nice day.