Basics of Motivation

-♦ MOTIVATION IN STORIES ♦-

As you as writer already know, a good story contains one or more challenges and obstacles, that the main character needs to overcome.

For stories that have multiple obstacles for the main character, this also means that the protagonist is usually active and has motivation that drives them to challenge these obstacles.

After all, no one becomes a hero by sitting on the couch watching tv because they can't be bothered to do anything else.

It is of course possible to make a main character with no motivation and do it well, but I'll get back to that.

-♦ LEVELS OF MOTIVATION ♦-

Motivation is something that differs for every single person, and often it differs for every single goal that this person has set for themselves. The amount of motivation for a task or a goal depends on multiple factors such as life conditions, opposing goals, and cost versus benefit.

For now I'm going to split motivation into two sections: Base level and Goal Motivation.

Base motivation level

Certainly you yourself has tried to have one of those days where you don't have the energy to do anything, even if that is making your favorite meal or play a game you usually love

Certainly you yourself has tried to have one of those days where you don't have the energy to do anything, even if that is making your favorite meal or play a game you usually love. On those days you are far less likely to start and complete new tasks than you are on a good day where it feels as though you have excessive energy.

Of course, people and characters have an average amount of base motivation, and someone with depression will get far less done than someone happy and satisfied in their life, even in their spare time.

Consider for example Saitama from One Punch Man, who is demotivated because everything is too easy, versus Bell Cranel from Is It Wrong To Pick Up Girls In A Dungeon who is a young up-and-coming hero.

While Saitama does whack the bosses, he doesn't have much motivation to do anything else in life. Bell Cranel on the other hand can't help but to stick his nose in problems and try to resolve them, even if it wasn't his problem to begin with, and even if he could easily get out of it.

Goal motivation

Goal motivation is a little different, as it only connects to a specific task at hand, and to some extent other goals connected with that goal.

The important part is that this is separate from the base motivation, and is either added or substracted to the base motivation.