9: Flight

The school didn't start until the second week of September so the mission was set to start a week earlier, giving the agents time to get over their jet lag and learn where everything was in the neighbourhood before things really got started. In the last two weeks of August, George did brush-up sessions on gathering information from targets' houses and roleplayed various situations that he might get into with Riley. Katie sometimes joined him, but mostly she was working in the archives; now that she was no longer suspended from missions, she had to work for nine hours a day cataloguing paper files and digitising them, which sounded really boring.

Letty, Ralph and Beatrice were all jealous of George getting a juicy mission in Australia, but Ralph departed on a mission before George's started and Beatrice was confined to campus after an incident at the local bowling alley, so George was glad he was going somewhere and that, by the time he got back, campus would be a bit livelier.

"I don't think you can come to the airport in case someone's watching the flight," George told Letty as he finished his packing. Their flight was that evening and it was just starting to get dark outside. Letty was in his room to help, but she'd spent most of the time finishing the microwaveable pancakes from his fridge and complaining about having nothing to do when he'd gone.

"Makes sense," Letty said, wiping syrup off her lips. "Did they say how long the mission will take?"

George rolled his eyes. "I've told you at least twice, they think it'll take up to six months."

His instructions were to pack summer clothing, but he could fit practically all of the clothes he owned into one suitcase so he'd just packed everything. They had to maintain the idea that he and Katie were moving to live with their aunt in Australia, so they could only take one suitcase each.

"Do you think I could squeeze my PlayStation in somewhere?" George asked, looking at it sadly.

Letty giggled. "You and your PlayStation, you'd think it was your girlfriend."

"It's better than a girlfriend," George replied, giving Letty a shove so she toppled off his bed. "You just don't understand."

"You probably shouldn't. The power supply might be different and it ould get damaged," Letty said, picking herself up off the floor.

"True," George replied, putting the PlayStation away in his wardrobe. "Maybe I'll be able to get one over there."

He didn't have anything else left to pack, so he finished zipping up his suitcase and dragged it over to the door.

"Make sure you email me," Letty said, sounding a little bit sad. "It's gonna be so quiet here without you and Rex, and Jemima's still not back from her mission."

"Rex only has a week or two left," George shrugged. "Before you know it, you'll be wondering why you ever put up with me."

"By the time you're back, we'll both be twelve," Letty grinned. "I'm expecting a birthday present."

"So am I," George said, "and mine's first, so if I don't get one from you, you're not getting one in return."

"Make sure you stay safe," Letty said, leaping over to him and hugging him.

George felt awkward but hugged her back. "I'll do my best."

"I'll walk down with you. It's not as if I'm busy," Letty said, opening the door so George could push his suitcase out. "Don't you have some carry-on luggage?"

George shook his head. "I'm only taking my phone and some headphones, so they'll fit in my pocket. I'll get water and stuff at the airport, since you can't take it through security."