chapter two

CHAPTER TWO - the skeleton

It was the night of Thor's farewell party, two days since the infiltration mission in Sokovia

It was the night of Thor's farewell party, two days since the infiltration mission in Sokovia. Annabelle didn't want to attend, but seeing as she lived at the Tower where the party was being held, she couldn't exactly escape it. So the brunette did what she always did during parties: found an isolated area to wallow in, and if anyone tried to approach her, walked away and found another area.

She was never one for social interaction. When asked about her dislike for it, she'd usually respond with "it's bothersome" or "it's boring", when in reality, she just wasn't used to it. As a kid, she never mingled nor met anyone close to her age. Annabelle spent her youth training, honing her abilities and working hard to be who she was now. And currently, as an adult, she was an Avenger.

Her whole life, she's been fighting. It's all she'd ever known, and it's what she was stuck with.

"Hey, you alright?"

Annabelle was sat at the bar, nursing a tall glass of ice water. The party was slowly trickling down, groups of guests were leaving the later the night became. After a while it was just the Avengers, along with former S.H.I.E.L.D. agent Maria Hill, Colonel James Rhodes, and Dr. Helen Cho.

The young woman turned from her drink to see the team leader pulling a couple bottles of booze from the racks.

She nodded. "Yes, Captain. I'm doing just fine."

He sighed at her solemn behavior, though it was what he had expected. "You know, we've known each other for three years now. You can call me Steve."

A blank stare. He sighed again.

He moved to step away only to pause, the thought of leaving her alone itched at his conscience. No longer feeling able to walk away, Steve turned back around to speak with her once more.

"Do you, maybe, want to join us?"

He jutted a thumb back toward the group. Everyone was huddled at the sofas near the staircase, chatting and having a good time. The war veteran watched her expression carefully as she pondered her decision. She was usually quick and straightforward with her options, however this time she hesitated. Steve couldn't begin to guess what she was thinking, but her silence spoke volumes.

"Okay."

"Seriously?"

"Yeah."

~~~

"But it's a trick."

"No, no, it's much more than that."

Annabelle sat on a couch in between Steve and Thor, her glass of water still firmly in her grasp. Her fingers traced swirls and geometric shapes on the condensation that covered the cup. The 21-year-old had chosen to sit with the rest of party, yet had said nothing throughout the entire conversation. She had merely followed Steve to the group and sat down silently.