Chapter 8 ~Emotional Issues and homework~

[Trigger Warnings: Mentions of torture, blood, eating disorders]

Sorry, this chapter is a little late, I decided sleep was more important.
---

[Third person]
- Room 701 'Private Ward' | 4:20 pm-

The sounds of birds chirping outside Izuku's window made him annoyingly jealous. He just wanted to leave, walk somewhere, fly somewhere, do anything outside this room because no matter how long he looks out the window he knows he can't leave.

He groaned as he turned his attention back to his textbook and started to annotate on little post-it notes the key points about the confusing line of succession in the Japanese line of power throughout history. Why he had to learn this, he didn't know but he honestly just wanted some distraction from his current situation. His hands kept shaking violently as the random waves of pain overwhelmed his arms.

He grumbled as he pushed his books away to cradle his arms, if he even nudged his bandages in certain parts it felt like he was right back to whatever caused the injury. He couldn't walk, barely write, hadn't dared move his wings and he could hardly talk.

He was having different doctors come in and ask about his injuries. He had some kind of specialist dentist come in to check up on his teeth but he couldn't bare the woman touching his jaw. The thought of it just sent chills down his spine. He knew the kind woman wouldn't hurt him but he couldn't not see ... Him.

The smallest things required help and he hated it, he would rather be independent than relying on other people but sometimes you have to let people do their jobs.

Izuku sighed, flinching from his warm breath over the open wound in his gum. He then returned to grumbling about his history work to take his mind away from his pain. He softly mumbled over and over the names that he couldn't remember off the top of his head as he slowly compiled a mental list so he could start to make a graph to help him remember.

It was no surprise when the soft knocks of one of the nurses were unnoticed by Izuku as his mumbling took his full focus. The nurse, who was already accustomed to his patient's unusual behaviour, chuckled as he let himself in for a quick check-up.

He tapped the edge of Midoryia's bedside to get his attention which quickly snapped his attention to him making Izuku flush in embarrassment.

"So-sorry m-mister, I-I tend to m-mumble when-whenever I-" Izuku tried his best to talk but was quickly informed that as good as it was that he was well enough to talk again his vocal cords would heal a lot quicker if he let his voice rest. Izuku nodded. He should learn sign language Izuku thought as the nurse began to efficiently go through his check-up.

"Okay, everything seems to be healing well, we are going to have a professional come in and have a look at your wings tomorrow. Is there anything I can do for you while I'm here?" Izuku shook his head but quickly stopped as a jagged pain shot up his spine. Izuku cursed under his breath and through gritted teeth and a strained smile said he'll just press the call button if he has any issues.

When the nurse left Izuku had never felt more relief, not that he didn't like the nurse. Quite the opposite, he was a very reassuring person. Izuku never really went to hospitals as he rarely got sick but he can say that the nurses have been really kind and helped him whenever he reluctantly asks for it.

Izuku went back to quietly repeating everything he could remember about his textbook as the hours ticked by. And as those hours ticked by Izuku became very aware that he was more sensitive to the smallest noises and disturbances than he had ever been as a vigilante. Every little gust of wind that pushed the window open a tad more, every irregular beat of a machine, every pattern of footfalls that walked anywhere near his door. Paranoia is the word he would use. Distrustful of every little fault. Things that would throw his mind back the hell he escaped from. Escaped isn't a very good word for it, he just got pushed around until they deposited him at the bottom of a lake.