Why?

"Why?" I ask myself as I look in the mirror. My hair is still wet from the shower and my breath fogs up the glass in front if me. I lean forwards, hands resting on the sink. I stare back at the fog covered eyes staring back at me.

"Why do I have to feel this way? Why can't I just-" I choke. "Why can't I just be....

happy?"

A single tear falls from the face in the mirror.

-

As I walk down the sidewalk past the park, I see kids playing in the sun. Their parents, mostly the mothers I presume, watching them from various benches. All of them look so... happy. And the kids. Oh, the kids. They run, and throw frisbies, and sip on their juice boxes without a care in the world. With their friends.

Friends.

I sigh and keep walking.

-

I lay on my bed, unable to sleep. I stare at the glow-in-the-dark plastic stars on my ceiling. Their mostly faded now but I can remember clear as day when my Mom got me them for my third birthday. How we stayed up all night putting them up. How I stared at the amazing colors of white-yellow with my lights turned off.

I sigh and pull the blanket over my head with a sigh as I take out my phone. I scroll through my Instagram seeing what all my so called "friends" posted. Some of them are bragging about their new girlfriends, some their boyfriends, some about the cake they ate at lunch, a few posted about their make-up. I kept scrolling. Somewhere in the depths of what was my social media, an add popped up. I was about to scroll past it when the quote caught my eye:

"In the end there is no desire so deep as the simple desire for companionship."
- Graham Greene

Companionship.

I turned my phone off and put it on my dresser. I pulled my blanket closer, rolled over, and closed my eyes.

-

I walked into the classroom and but my bag down on my chair. "Sorry I was late Mr. Palechi." He just nods and hold up a worksheet. I sat down at my desk, moving my bag, and read over the paper. Something about some form of religious crusade, blah, blah, blah... I rolled my eyes. When I got to one sentence though, I stopped. One word in particular caught my attention.

Hope.

I shook my head, ignoring the little pang that I felt in my chest.

-

I felt the breeze on my face and breathed in the fresh air of the town. Birds chirped and the sun was high in the sky. It wasn't too hot and it wasn't too cold either. All in all it was a good day. Well, except for...

I lost my train of thought as I heard my name called. I looked around at the the people walking about, looking so small. I searched the crowd for the one who disrupted my peace. You. I froze. Of course of all people it had to be the one person that I actually liked, and the two tag-alongs of course. Our eyes locked. They looked..... scared? Frightened? ...Worried? I felt a pang in my chest, stronger than it was before. My face softened considerably from the annoyed expression. I felt....

Love.

I walked away from the edge of the roof of the small convenience store. I went to the fire escape and headed down to ground level to greet them.

-

I walk through the hallways at school. Alone. I keep my head down and focus on getting to my locker, getting the stuff I need, and heading to class. The same routine day in and day out five days a week, 40 weeks a year. The only time that schedule changed was when I had summer school back in seventh grade.

I keep walking. Keep having my head down. Alone. Someone calls my name. I look up. It's not someone It's someone I recognize from one of my classes. I've never talked to them before. But why did they call... my name?

They're friendly. That's unsual. I don't sense any deception or malice. Is this what... having friends is like?

I feel....

Happy.

End.

That's the first one folks :)

For anyone wondering about my other stories, I have a new chapter in the works for "The Doctor and Daredevil" so that should be out by the end of March

If you have any ideas for what I should write next, I have a prompt book as well so you can check that out and post your ideas there. You can also comment ideas here and I might add them to my prompt book. Or you can message me or post ideas on my message board, any way is fine. :3

'Til next time, stay safe y'all!