Hero or Villain? (short story)

Based off a video I saw on Instagram and posted to my story. I said that if someone wanted me to, I'd write a short story based off of it and LovingRebel12 replied, so here we are. :D

Go check out their works btw and show him some love~ ಡ ͜ ʖ ಡ <3

(I'll add what the video was about at the end lol.)

~

They were surrounded.

One lonely figure stood in the middle, people on every side, an army, there was no escape.

The figure could be recognized by their orange outfit. Whether it was a war uniform, or simply pajamas, had no effect on the moral of this tale.

The standing forces were recognized by their green.

As well as the orange that covered every one of their beings.

Orange was the only one left, the only one left alive, the only Orange. But that was ok.

Orange did what they had to do, did what was right. Or at least, what was right to them.

If you asked any one of the Greens, you probably won't get an answer. If you did however, they'd tell you the same thing that Orange would: "we did the right thing."

In this story of sides, of one last opponent, of one last enemy, how can you truly tell who the hero is?

With one more person left, alone, as opposed to the massive numbers of their rivals, who is the hero? Who is the villain?

Is it Green, who seems to have won in the end, like all heroes do, or is it Orange, the line savior of their people?

Is Green simply a force of destruction, or is Orange bred from a systematic race of violence?

The bodies of other Oranges are scattered around what can only be described as a battlefield, the Greens hovering over them with a heavy presence. They're all looking in one place.

In the center Orange stands tall, and so do the Greens. The silence, however, is deafening, and no one is smiling. Instead, quite, steely determination is set in all their features.

What are they fighting for, you might ask?

Well that doesn't really matter, now does it? When it all comes down to it, it's just about who's actions align more with your morals.

What are morals, exactly? Are they divine wisdom that is met with divine punishment? Are they what make us feel better because what we did was "right"? Or are they simply a way to judge others for their actions, to make yourself feel powerful, superior?

What if I told you that the Oranges deserved it? What if I told you that the Greens killed mercilessly? What if I told you that they both committed atrocious acts, and that Green just happened to be a little luckier?

Would that satisfy your morals? Would that quench your everlasting longing, searching, for what is Truly Right and what is Truly Wrong?

Now what if I told you that Orange has a family to go back to, or as much of a family that was spared to the brutal massacre that surrounds all of them? What if I told you that each Green had people to go back to, people that they are trying to protect, never giving up even if only one more Orange remains?

What if I told you that Orange isn't a threat, and never was, but the Greens don't care, and will inevitably end them anyway? What if I told you that the Greens are desperate, just as desperate as Orange, because they know that Orange has the power to destroy them all, despite not doing anything to bring their ire except mere self-defense?

They were surrounding them.

One lonely figure stood in the middle, and Orange, and the Greens surrounded them with an unbudging determination.

They were surrounded.

One lonely figure, one lonely Orange, stood in the middle, Greens were surrounding them on all sides, and they stood up tall, not giving away any emotion except for perserverence.

What if I told you they were all scared? That not so deep down, barely hidden by all of their façades, that they were all terrified?

So who do you want to win more, the obvious victors or the lone survivor? Which one with satiate you best? Who truly deserves to come out on top?

Now, what if I told you, they all died? What if I told you they all died, not a single sound coming from the silent expanse, not a single sense of anything out of place? What if I told you that they died without any proof of their existence except for the faint feeling of sorrow that seems to look over the entire area?

We don't know who this Orange was or who these Greens were, nor do we know what was happening or why they were fighting. All we know is that someone, somewhere, might miss them. All we know is that someone, somewhere, might be wondering when they will be coming home. All we know is that someone, somewhere, might have known them, cared for them, loved them.

Now what if I told you they never really existed?

Words: 803

For: LovingRebel12

The video was a single orange M&M surrounded by a circle of green ones. The camera slowly zooms out to reveal more green M&Ms, each one standing next to a crushed orange one, and some crushed green ones as well.

~Sage (5/13/2022)

It's barely Friday the 13th lol, I should go to sleep (it's almost 1 am 💀)